Who doesn’t love a slouchy beanie like the crochet Scato Hat?
It’s so quick, easy, & it also come in sizes from 12-18 months to adult man.
What’s so great about this hat crochet pattern is the fact that it is crocheted from the top down, that means you can stop crocheting when you feel you’ve achieved the slouchy feel wanted. Which makes it really easy to customize.
The stitch pattern is super easy & gives a great texture.
Disclosure. The blog posts on this website may contain affiliate links. This means I’ll get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (with no additional cost to you). I only use these for products I use & have a great experience with & I feel gives value to you. Read more about my reasoning here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide you FREE blog posts & crochet patterns. By sharing my content you make it possible for me to continue publishing FREE content. All content is shared with a good intention & is meant to inspire you to crochet! Thank you!
The crochet Scato Hat was made with a yarn from Lion Brand Yarn called Wool-Ease Chunky.
This yarn is 80% acrylic & 20 % wool & it is great to crochet with.
The wool makes it warm & it’s a great affordable yarn.
It comes in lots of different colors & you can never get bored.
I’m sure you’re going to love this yarn & remember to comment below & let me know which color you’re using!
THE PERFECT SUPER QUICK CROCHET GIFT
Need to make a crochet hat ASAP?
This one’s for you!
The Scato Hat can be made in one sitting. Within an hour or two, of course depending on how fast you crochet.
That’s perfect for a quick gift or even when you need to make a 100 hats for a market.
Since you like the crochet Scato Hat, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
CROCHET SCATO HAT – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The Scato Hat crochet pattern is a pattern for a really lovely textured crochet slouchy hat.
It has a spiraling stitch pattern that makes it look beautiful. It’s warm & perfect for winter.
The pattern is written for sizes ranging from 1 year to adult man. Choose colors that fits your style.
- Main Hook: 8 mm / US: L – 11 / UK: 0
- Hook used for FSC stitches (optional): 10 mm / US: N/P-15 / UK: 000
Hook I used: Waves Crochet Hooks from Knitpro
Lion Brand – Wool-Ease Chunky.
Yarn amount used:
Color A (used on the hat):
- 12-18 months: <1 skein / 100 grams / 100 meters / 108 yards.
- 18-24 months: <1 skein / 110 grams / 110 meters / 121 yards.
- 2-5 years: <1 skein / 125 grams / 125 meters / 135 yards.
- Child: 1 skein / 140 grams / 140 meters / 150 yards.
- Teen: <2 skeins / 150 grams / 150 meters / 165 yards.
- Adult woman: <2 skeins / 165 grams / 165 meters / 180 yards.
- Adult man: <2 skeins / 180 grams / 180 meters / 200 yards.
Color B (all sizes – optional):
- Enough to make 1 pom pom / <1 skein.
- 5 bulky yarn.
- 80 % acrylic, 20 % wool
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
- Tape measure
- Stitch marker
Measured with the quick bubblepattern crocheted in rounds:
8 stitches & 8 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 7 sizes, where the numbers for the different sizes is given in parenthesis like this: 12-18 months (18-24 months) 2-5 years (child) teen (woman) man. If just one number is given, it applies to all sizes. I recommend that you highlight or circle the size you’re making before you begin, to make the pattern easier to follow.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
- The ribbing stitches will not be as stretchy as the QB stitches. Be careful not to start with too few QB stitches & end up with a ribbing that’s too tight. Rather make the QB part wider.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
|HEAD CIRCUMFERENCE||HAT |
|12-18 MONTHS||43.5 cm /|
|40.5 cm /|
|21,8 cm /|
|18-24 MONTHS||46 cm /|
|43.5 cm /|
|22,6 cm /|
|2-5 YEARS||46,5-48,5 cm /|
|43,5-46 cm /|
|23.4 cm /|
|CHILD||48,5-51 cm /|
|46-48,5 cm /|
|24.2 cm /|
|TEEN||51-53,5 cm /|
|48,5-51 cm /|
|25 cm /|
|WOMAN||56 cm /|
|53,5 cm /|
|25.8 cm /|
|MAN||59 cm /|
|56 cm /|
|26.6 cm /|
- Head sizes varies, take measurements to find the size that fits the best.
- Note: Any size adjustments affect yarn usage & you might need more/less yarn than suggested.
- Make the hat circumference wider by adding extra stitches before you start row 1, added/reduced by 3 stitches at a time.
- Adjust hat height by adding/reducing the number of rows you crochet.
BPdc = back post double crochet
ch = chain(s)
FPdc = front post double crochet
prev = previous
QB = Quick Bubblepattern
st = stitch (es)
yo = yarn over
STITCHES YOU WILL NEED:
You will need to use the foundation single crochet stitch & the quick bubblepattern.
QUICK BUBBLEPATTERN (QB):
*in the next st, draw up a loop, yo, draw up a loop from same stitch, yo, pull through all* repeat. Start rows with a Quick Bubblepattern Stitch directly in the last stitch from prev row.
FOUNDATION SINGLE CROCHET (FSC):
Step 1: Ch 2 st.
Step 2: Insert hook into 2nd ch from hook, pull up a loop. Yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook.
Step 3: Insert hook into prev “chain” you made (It should look like you go through a resemblance of a “normal” st, with 2 strands of yarn), pull up a loop, yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook. Repeat step 3 until you’ve made enough stitches.
*2nd ch in step 1 makes 1 st, step 2 makes 1 st & every time step 3 is repeated you make 1 st.
Front Post & Back Post Double Crochet:
FPdc written description:
Yo, insert your hook from front to back between the previous stitch & the stitch you’re working, & bring it to the front again between the stitch you’re working & the next stitch, yo & pull up a loop, you have 3 loops on the hook, yarn over & pull through 2 of the 3 loops, yarn over and pull through the 2 last loops.
BPdc written description:
Yo, insert your hook from back to front between the previous stitch & the stitch you’re working, & bring it to the back again between the stitch you’re working & the next stitch, yo & pull up a loop, you have 3 loops on the hook, yo & pull through 2 of the 3 loops, yarn over and pull through the 2 last loops.
This hat is crocheted from top to bottom. Leave about 20 cm / 8 inches yarn end when starting to close the hat at the top when you’ve finished crocheting.
With hook size 10 mm, make 32 (34) 36 (38) 40 (42) 44 st using the foundation single crochet technique. Sl st in 1st st (=32 (34) 36 (38) 40 (42) 44 st). Sl st don’t count in stitch count.
Place stitch marker where your did the slip stitch. This marks the end of 1 round. Keep moving the stitch marker for each round. The stitch will spiral & the starting point will shift, but just keep round count according to full rounds referring to the stitch marker.
Following instructions are all made with hook size 8 mm:
Round 1- 14 (15) 16 (17) 18 (19) 20: QB 1 st in each st from prev row, do not end rounds (=32 (34) 36 (38) 40 (42) 44 st).
Round 15 (16) 17 (18) 19 (20) 21: dc 2 st in each st from prev round, do not end round (=64 (68) 72 (76) 80 (84) 88 st).
Round 16 (17) 18 (19) 20 (21) 22: *FPdc around 2 st from prev round, BPdc around 2 st from prev round* repeat from *to* until end of round, do not end round (=32 (34) 36 (38) 40 (42) 44 st).
Round 17 (18) 19 (20) 21 (22) 23 – 18 (19) 20 (21) 22 (23) 24: *FPdc in FPdc, BPdc in BPdc* repeat from *to* until end of round (=32 (34) 36 (38) 40 (42) 44 st).
Fasten off & cut yarn.
- .Thread the yarn tail from the beginning of the hat onto a needle.
- Insert it from the outside & through all the stitches around the top of the hat.
- When finished pull the yarn tightly to close the top of the beanie.
- Fasten threads & weave in ends
- Make a pom-pom if you’d like & sew on.
- Sew fleece fabric to the inside if you wish (see quick & easy instructions here: https://joyofmotioncrochet.com/how-to-line-a-hat/).
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the crochet Scato Hat!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your crochet Scato Hat that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished crochet Scato Hat on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished crochet Scato Hat on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.
JOY OF MOTION & THIS PATTERN TAGGED ON INSTAGRAM