LEARN HOW TO CROCHET THE DOUBLE CROCHET STITCH:
In this crochet tutorial you’re going to learn to do the double crochet stitch. It’s one of the most basic crochet stitches & it is also one of the most used. As the name suggests it is a little more complex than the single crochet that was covered in “The Beginners Guide to Crochet”. It’s also a little less complex than it’s “big sister”, the treble crochet stitch.
The stitch tutorial will show you the steps to make the double crochet stitch in a step-by-step picture guide, as well as a short soundless video.
OTHER CROCHET STITCHES YOU MIGHT WANT TO LEARN:
Before you start learning the crochet stitch for this post, I want to share other crochet stitch tutorials from Joy of Motion. Just click the link & open them in new tabs to learn them later.
MATERIALS YOU’LL NEED TO LEARN THE DC:
To follow this crochet tutorial you’ll need a crochet hook. When I crochet I usually use 2 types of crochet hooks. I’ve listed them below:
- Knitpro – Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks – My first choice as of now is the Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks from KnitPro. They opened my world to wood hooks & impressed me with their amazing lightness & how they feel in my hand. Even though they’re not padded, they never give me any strain while using them. I’ve only come across them in sets They are available here:
- KnitPro – Waves Crochet Hooks – Are the crochet hooks I use almost as my favorite. They are padded hooks & are comfortable to crochet with. They are a little heavier than wooden hooks, but the padded comfort is truly amazing. You can purchase these both in sets & alone. They are available here:
- Love Crochet
- Wool Warehouse
- Wool Warehouse (set)
- Amazon (set)
You’re going to need some yarn to follow this crochet tutorial to learn a new crochet stitch. I really do love purchasing my yarn online. Here’s my top yarn resources:
I’m starting this guide off without any extra explanation on how to chain or start a row. Consequently you should know how to crochet a chain.
To keep it simple, I’ve chained 10 stitches, turned and crocheted single crochet stitches across the chain row. Finally I have also chained 3 stitches to get the height of the double crochet stitch.
Due to the height of the double crochet stitch, I always suggest you start with 3 chains in the beginning of the row.
- Yarn over:
- Draw up a loop: Draw up a loop from next stitch.You have now 3 loops on hook.
- Yarn over:
- Pull through 2 loops on hook: Pull yarn through 2 loops on hook.You now have 2 loops left on hook.
- Yarn over:
- Pull through all loops on hook: Pull yarn through all loops on hook.
You have now finished a double crochet stitch.
The double crochet stitch is often shortened to “dc” in crochet patterns.
The soundless video shows you how to crochet the double crochet stitch.
CROCHET PATTERN DESIGNS USING THE DC STITCH:
I hope you enjoyed this beginner friendly crochet tutorial including one of the most used crochet stitch.