LEARN HOW TO CROCHET THE CROSS PATTERN STITCH:
Let’s dive into how to crochet the cross pattern stitch. This stitch makes a really lovely texture to any project. I know it as the “cross pattern” due to the lovely cross that the stitch make, but it may be known under many names. It is a vital part of some of my crochet patterns. The good thing is that the pattern is made almost only with double crochet stitches. This makes it easy to learn.
If you have bought one of my crochet patterns, you might wonder how the cross pattern stitch is crocheted. The pattern always offers written text in addition to charts, but now I will share a step by step picture guide with you. In addition there is a video of how to crochet this stitch on the bottom.
Today I suggest that you learn the stitch & then you should use it in a crochet project! You can make you own pattern, but on the bottom of this post I have also included all crochet patterns that are using the cross pattern stitch!
OTHER CROCHET STITCHES YOU MIGHT WANT TO LEARN:
Before you start learning the crochet stitch for this post, I want to share other crochet stitch tutorials from Joy of Motion. Just click the link & open them in new tabs to learn them later.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you). Read more here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide FREE posts & crochet patterns.
MATERIALS YOU’LL NEED TO LEARN THE CROSS PATTERN STITCH:
To follow this crochet tutorial you’ll need a crochet hook. When I crochet I usually use 2 types of crochet hooks. I’ve listed them below:
- Knitpro – Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks – My first choice as of now is the Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks from KnitPro. They opened my world to wood hooks & impressed me with their amazing lightness & how they feel in my hand. Even though they’re not padded, they never give me any strain while using them. I’ve only come across them in sets They are available here:
- KnitPro – Waves Crochet Hooks – Are the crochet hooks I use almost as my favorite. They are padded hooks & are comfortable to crochet with. They are a little heavier than wooden hooks, but the padded comfort is truly amazing. You can purchase these both in sets & alone. They are available here:
- Love Crochet
- Wool Warehouse
- Wool Warehouse (set)
- Amazon (set)
You’re going to need some yarn to follow this crochet tutorial to learn a new crochet stitch. I really do love purchasing my yarn online. Here’s my top yarn resources:
HOW TO CROCHET THE CROSS PATTERN STITCH – PICTURE GUIDE:
1. How to start:
Since the purpose of this post is to learn the stitch I suggest that you start by making a small test square:
1. Chain 15 stitches, turn.
2. Single Crochet along chain row, turn. (or Double crochet – see written description – row 1)
Then you are ready to start the “Cross pattern”!
2. Chain 3 stitches
3. Crochet Double Crochet stitches across the row
4. Chain 3 stitches
You are ready for the special stitch – the cross.
5. Special Stitch – DDCR (cross):
5a: Skip the next 2 dc
Notice that my nail is pointing on the basis of the next stitch (third stitch).
5b: 1 dc in the basis of the next stitch
This picture is showing where the hook is inserted in the basis of the next stitch (third stitch).
From here you just finish a normal “Double Crochet”.
5c: 1 dc in the second of the 2 stitches that you skipped
This picture is showing where you should crochet the “Double Crochet”.
Crochet the “Double Crochet”.
5d: 1 dc in the basis of the first stitch you skipped
This picture is showing you where the “Double Crochet” should go
– the basis of the first stitch you skipped.
Crochet the “Double Crochet”.
You have now finished the whole “Special Stitch” – DCCR (cross).
6. Double crochet in the next 3 stitches
- Repeat 5 & 6 until end of row
- End row with double crochet in third chain
- Every other row: Crochet Double Crochet stitches across the row
- Every other row: Start with number 5 or 6 every other time
HOW TO CROCHET THE CROSS PATTERN STITCH – WRITTEN DESCRIPTION:
Special Mask – DCCR (cross): Skip the next 2 dc, 1 dc in the same place as the basis for the next st, 1 dc in the second of the 2 st that you skipped, 1 dc in the same place as the basis of the first st you skipped.
Row 1: 1 dc in 4th ch from hook, 1 dc in each ch across row, turn. (or crochet single crochet).
Row 2: Ch 3, skip first dc, 1 dc in each dc and finish with 1 dc in 3rd 3 ch. Turn.
Row 3: Ch 3, skip first dc, * 1 DCCR over the next 3 dc, 1 dc in each of the following 3 dc, repeat from * and finish with 1 DCCR over the last 3 dc, 1 dc in 3rd 3 ch. Turn.
Row 4: as row 2
Row 5: Ch 3, skip the first dc, * 1 dc in each of next 3 dc, 1 DCCR over the next 3 dc, repeat from * and finish with 1 dc in each of last 3 dc and 1 st in the 3rd 3 ch. Turn.
HOW TO CROCHET THE CROSS PATTERN STITCH – VIDEO GUIDE:
This soundless video shows you how to crochet the cross pattern stitch.
You can see in the instructions that there is crocheted a row with “Double Crochet” – this video shows how to do the “Special Stitch – DCCR”.
Compare this with the written instructions & you should have a feel about how it’s done.
CROCHET PATTERN DESIGNS USING THE CROSS PATTERN STITCH: