It’s another day & another opportunity to share a FREE crochet pattern, the crochet Headband with Cross Pattern.
This crochet headband offers lot’s of texture & is a quick crochet make as it uses super bulky yarn.
The stitch pattern is quite easy, as I’m happy to say it’s mostly half double crochet stitches.
Disclosure. The blog posts on this website may contain affiliate links. This means I’ll get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (with no additional cost to you). I only use these for products I use & have a great experience with & I feel gives value to you. Read more about my reasoning here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide you FREE blog posts & crochet patterns. By sharing my content you make it possible for me to continue publishing FREE content. All content is shared with a good intention & is meant to inspire you to crochet! Thank you!
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN MORE!
The crochet Headband with Cross Pattern was made with a yarn from Drops called Eskimo.
What’s so great about the Eskimo yarn is the fact that it is yarn weight 6, but doesn’t feel way to thick. It’s still great to work with.
It’s also really soft & warm, which makes it a pleasure to use & wear. That also means it’s great to keep you warm, such as for a ear warmer like the crochet Headband with Cross Pattern.
You can find the yarn here.
THE PERFECT HEADBAND TO LEARN A NEW STITCH
Did you see the texture of the headband?
It’s such a lovely texture & nothing is better than to make a headband when you’re exploring a new crochet stitch.
It doesn’t require any fancy increases or decreases & you can finish in just an hour or two.
Since you like the Headband with Cross Pattern, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
CROCHET HEADBAND WITH CROSS PATTERN – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The headband with cross pattern is a pattern for a headband or ear warmer. This headband can be modified to fit any head circumference.
Put this to use & keep yourself warm throughout fall & winter season. Take this headband on for a walk, to go skiing or snowboarding.
Size 4,5 mm / US: 7 / UK: 7
Hook I used: Wave Crochet Hooks from Knitpro
Drops – Eskimo.
Yarn amount used:
1-2 skeins. 50-100 g / 50-100 m / 54-108 yards
- 6 Super Bulky yarn
- 100 % wool
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
- 2 buttons
- Measuring tape
Measured with the cross pattern crocheted in rows:
15 stitches & 10 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 1 size, however size adjustments are suggested under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
Width: 10 cm / 3.9 inches
Length: 53 cm / 20.9 inches
- Make the headband circumference wider or narrower by adding/reducing extra stitches before you start row 1, added/reduced by 3 stitches at a time. When you decide on circumference, remember that you’ll add a few rows as “botton” rows.
- Adjust headband width by adding/reducing the number of rows you crochet.
dc =double crochet
DDCR =special mask/ cross stitch
sk = skip(ped)
STITCHES YOU WILL NEED:
You will need to use chains, single crochet stitches, slip stitches & the cross pattern.
Special stitch – DCCR (cross): Sk the next 2 dc, dc 1 in the same place as the basis for the next st, dc 1 in the second of the 2 st that you sk, dc 1 in the same place as the basis of the first st you sk.
Row 1: Ch 3, dc 1 in each st from prev row, turn.
Row 2: Ch 3, *DCCR 1 over the next 3 dc, dc 1 in each of the following 3 dc*, repeat from *to* across row, turn.
Row 3: Ch 3, dc 1 in each st from prev row, turn.
Row 4: Ch 3, skip the first dc, *dc 1 in each of next 3 dc, DCCR 1 over the next 3 dc, repeat from *to* across row, turn. Repeat rows 1-4.
This headband is crocheted from the bottom up, with turning rows. Then the button row is crocheted to the short side of the headband.
Ch 76 st.
Row 1: Crochet sc in 3rd ch from hook, continue with sc in all ch, turn (=75 st).
Row 2 – 8: Follow instructions for cross pattern, repeating row 1-4 as explained under the stitch explanation.
Row 9: Ch 1, sc 1 in all st from prev row, turn (=75 st).
Fasten off & cut yarn.
Attach yarn to the corner on a short side of the headband with a slip stitch.
Row 1-5: Ch 1, sc 15 st, turn (=16 st).
Fasten off & cut yarn.
- Fasten all threads & weave in ends.
- Attach buttons to button row. Holes that naturally are a part of the stitch pattern works as button holes.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the Headband with Cross Pattern!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your Headband with Cross Pattern that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished Headband With Cross Pattern on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished Headband With Cross Pattern on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
- Share this FREE pattern on Facebook
- Share this FREE pattern on Pinterest & save it to make later.
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.