It’s another day & another opportunity to share a FREE crochet pattern, the crochet Delicatus Hat.
Crochet hats can be super easy to make & can be made with any crochet stitch.
What I love about this specific hat is the fact that it shows of the broomstick lace stitch beautifully!
This stitch requires that you use both a crochet hook & yarn, as well as a “broomstick”. That can be anything really, but for this specific pattern I’ve used a 15 mm knitting needle.
To crochet this pattern I used 100 % Alpaca yarn.
The reason behind my choice this time around was honestly the fact that I had some scrap yarn in my yarn stash. Using thin yarn for this project makes them easy & light to wear.
The thin yarn also makes the broomstick lace stitch look amazing.
THE PERFECT TRY A NEW STITCH CROCHET PROJECT
Behind this crochet pattern you won’t find a big design idea, but a beautiful one.
It’s made with the purpose of letting you try a completely new crochet stitch, without having to embark on a big, time consuming crochet project.
There’s no complex increases or decreases on this pattern, just crocheting back & forth in rows.
Since you like the Crochet Delicatus Hat, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
CROCHET DELICATUS HAT – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
Crochet pattern for the crochet Delicatus hat. It is perfect to keep you warm all winter. It is also amazing & stylish to any occasion.
Give it your own look with your choice of color. This crochet pattern is also perfect for anyone who wants to make a unique quick gift.
Size 3,5 mm / US: E – 4 / UK: –
Hook I used: Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks from Knitpro
Filcolana – Indiecita.
Yarn amount used:
2 skeins / 60 g / 240 m / 262 yards.
- 1 Super Fine yarn, Fingering yarn.
- 100 % alpaca
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
- Tape measure
- “Broomstick” = knitting needle 15 mm in diameter.
Measured with dc stitches 14 stitches per 10 cm / 4”.
Measured on broomstick lace stitches combination*: 9 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
Counts broomstick row & dc row as 1 each.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 7 sizes, size adjustments are suggested under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
- Adjust the hat circumference by adding or reducing the number of stitches you make before you start row 1, added/reduced by 5 stitches at a time.
- Adjust the hat height by adding or reducing the number of rows you crochet.
BL = back loop
ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
dc = double crochet
FSC = foundation single crochet
prev = previous
Sl st = slip stitch (tutorial)
St = stitch (es)
yo = yarn over
STITCHES YOU WILL NEED:
You will need to use the “Broomstick Lace Stitch”, foundation single crochet stitches, slip stitches, single crochet stitches & double crochet stitches.
BROOMSTICK LACE STITCH:
FOUNDATION SINGLE CROCHET STITCH (FSC):
Step 1: Ch 2 st.
Step 2: Insert hook into 2nd ch from hook, pull up a loop. Yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook.
Step 3: Insert hook into prev “chain” you made (It should look like you go through a resemblance of a “normal” st, with 2 strands of yarn), pull up a loop, yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook.
Repeat step 3 until you’ve made enough stitches. *2nd ch in step 1 makes 1 st, step 2 makes 1 st & every time step 3 is repeated you make 1 st.
Make 95 (100) 105 (110) 115 (120) 125 st using the FSC technique.
Row 1: Place the loop on the hook over on the “broomstick”, *using the crochet hook draw up a loop from the BL of the next st and place on the “broomstick”*, repeat from *to* until end of row, turn (= 95 (100) 105 (110) 115 (120) 125 loops on broomstick).
Row 2: *Move 5 loops from the “broomstick” over to the crochet hook, sl st 1 around the 5 loops, dc 5 around the same loops*, repeat from *to* until end of row, turn (= 95 (100) 105 (110) 115 (120) 125 st*).
* Sl st not included in stitch count, just dc stitches.
Row 3- row 9 (10) 10 (11) 11 (12) 12 rows: Repeat row 1 & 2 every other row.
Fasten off & cut yarn.
- With the wrong side facing. With a needle, seam the side of the beanie, start at the bottom & move up.
- Still working with the needle, pull through the top of every loop on the top of the hat with the same yarn, in a way that makes it possible to pull tight after going through those stitches.
- Pull tight & fasten thread.
- Fasten all threads & weave in ends.
- Optional: Make & attach a pom pom.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the Delicatus Hat!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your Crochet Delicatus Hat that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished Crochet Delicatus Hat on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished Crochet Delicatus Hat on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
- Share this FREE pattern on Facebook
- Share this FREE pattern on Pinterest & save it to make later.
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.