You’re going to love the crochet Løv Slouchy Beanie, because it’s so fun & textured. It also come in sizes from 12-18 months to adult man.
What’s so great about this hat crochet pattern is the fact that it is crocheted widthwise, that means you can stop crocheting when you feel you’ve achieved the circumference wanted. Which makes it really easy to customize.
That also means you’re crocheting the ribbing while you crochet the rest of the hat & you’ll instantly get a feel of how slouchy it is.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you). Read more here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide FREE posts & crochet patterns.
All that texture looks difficult? Well, I’m happy to say it mostly contains playing with working in the back loops & front loops. It’s not complex stitches. Yay!
The crochet Løv Slouchy beanie was made with a yarn from Patons called Alpaca Blend. The color used on the beanie pictured is the color called Celestial.
What’s so great about the Alpaca Blend yarn is the fact that it is yarn weight 5, but doesn’t feel to thick. It’s still great to work with.
It’s also really soft & warm, which makes it a pleasure to use & wear. That also means it’s great to keep you warm, such as for a beanie like the crochet Løv slouchy beanie.
You can find the yarn here.
Pictured are also the beginning of the Polus Cardigan, pattern here.
THE PERFECT FALL CROCHET PROJECT
The Løv Slouchy beanie is designed with fall in mind. The name “Løv” comes from the Norwegian word for leaves, & relates to the falling leaves during fall.
While the crochet Løv Slouchy beanie is a great fall crochet project, it’s also made with Christmas in mind. The crochet beanie is definitely a great gift for Christmas. First of all it doesn’t take too long to crochet, but still it has all the details that makes it an interesting gift.
The crochet beanie is also made as a really slouchy hat, & will keep you warm throughout fall & winter season, while still looking good!
Since you like the crochet Løv Slouchy Beanie, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
CROCHET LØV SLOUCHY BEANIE – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The crochet Løv Slouchy Beanie is the perfect fall crochet pattern. It’s the perfect crochet pattern idea for some ego crocheting or as a gift for Christmas.
The sizing starts at 12 months & ends with adult sizes. You’re going to need some size 5 yarn & a crochet hook to make it, & it works up fast.
This crochet hat is really slouchy & it’s also really textured. Even though the textured pattern might seem difficult, the good news is that it’s mostly basic stitches placed in either the front or back loops.
Size 6.5 mm / US: K – 10.5 / UK: 3
Hook I used: Lykke Crochet Hook.
Patons – Alpaca Blend in color Celestial.
Yarn amount used:
12-18 months: 1 skeins / 90 g / 130 m / 140 yards
18-24 months: 1 skeins / 95 g / 138 m / 150 yards
2-5 year: 2 skeins / 105 g / 145 m / 160 yards
Child: 2 skeins / 110 g / 155 m / 170 yards
Teen: 2 skeins / 140 g / 200 m / 220 yards
Woman: 2 skeins / 150 g / 210 m / 230 yards
Man: 2 skeins / 155 g / 220 m / 240 yards
- 5 bulky yarn
- 60% Acrylic, 22% Wool, 10% Nylon/Polyamide, 8% Camelid – Alpaca
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
- Measuring tape
16 stitches & 20 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 7 sizes, where the numbers for the different sizes is given in parenthesis like this: 12-18 months (18-24 months) 2-5 years (child) teen (woman) man. If just one number is given, it applies to all sizes. I recommend that you highlight or circle the size you’re making before you begin, to make the pattern easier to follow.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
|Head Circumference||Hat Circumference||Hat Height|
|12-18 months||43.5 cm / 17 inches||40.5 cm / 16 inches||20 cm / 7.9 inches|
|18-24 months||46 cm / 18 inches||43.5 cm / 17 inches||20 cm / 7.9 inches|
|2-5 years||48.5 cm / 19 inches||46.5 cm / 18 inches||20 cm / 7.9 inches|
|Child||51 cm / 20 inches||48.5 cm / 19 inches||20 cm / 7.9 inches|
|Teen||53.5 cm / 21 inches||51.5 cm / 20 inches||25 cm / 9.8 inches|
|Woman||56 cm / 22 inches||53.5 cm / 21 inches||25 cm / 9.8 inches|
|Man||59 cm / 23 inches||56.5 cm / 22 inches||25 cm / 9.8 inches|
- Head sizes varies, take measurements to find the size that fits the best.
- The hat height is the same for the 4 smallest sizes; 12-18 months, 18-24 months, 2-5 years, child. That means the hat will be more slouchy for the size 12-18 months & the least slouchy for the biggest of those sizes.
- The hat height is also the same for the 3 biggest sizes; teen, woman, man. That means the hat will be more slouchy for the size teen & the least slouchy for the biggest of those sizes.
- Note: Any size adjustments affect yarn usage & you might need more/less yarn than suggested.
- Make the hat higher by adding extra stitches before you start row 1, added/reduced by 8 stitches at a time.
- Adjust hat circumference by adding/reducing the number of rows you crochet. To make it easy to assemble the hat with the same yarn tail, end with an odd row.
BL = back loop
Ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
FL = front loop
FLesc = front loop extended single crochet
prev = previous
sk = skip(ped)
St = stitch (es)
STITCHES YOU WILL NEED:
You’ll need to know slip stitches, single crochet stitches & front loop extended single crochet stitches.
FRONT LOOP EXTENDED SINGLE CROCHET:
In the indicated stitch: Insert hook through the front loop, pull up a loop, you have 2 loops on the hook, yarn over & go through 1 loop, yarn over & go through both loops on the hook.
TECHNIQUES YOU WILL NEED:
CROCHETING IN THE FRONT & BACK LOOP:
This means that you will not crochet through the whole stitch as usual. A typical stitch contains two loops. One in the front, nearest you, and another stitch in the back, furthest away from you. One is called the front loop (the one nearest you), the other one the back loop, the one furthest away from you.
For this pattern you will crochet slip stitches through the front loop & back loop, as well as single crochet stitches in the back loop (BLsc) & extended single crochet stitches in the front loop (FLesc).
This hat is crocheted widthwise in rows, the 4 smallest sizes has one stitch count to achieve hat height, while the 3 biggest sizes has the same stitch count to achieve a slightly longer hat height. See size adjustments to figure out how to adjust sizes.
Make 32 (32) 32 (32) 40 (40) 40 st using the FSC technique.
*If you don’t want to use the FSC technique, chain 33 (33) 33 (33) 41 (41) 41 & then crochet 1 row with single crochet stitches in your chains, then start row 1.
Row 1: Ch 1 (counts as 1st st), sl st 1 in FL of the next st, sk 1 st, FLesc 1 in next st, FLesc 1 in prev st, sk the 2 FLesc st, *sl st 1 in the FL of the next 6 st*, sk 1 st, FLesc 1 in next st, FLesc 1 in prev st, sk the 2 FLesc st*, repeat from *to* until you have 12 st left, sl st in the FL of the next 2 st, BLsc 1 in the last 10 st, turn (=32 (32) 32 (32) 40 (40) 40).
Row 2 : Ch 1 (counts as 1st st), sl st 1 in BL of each st from prev row, turn (=32 (32) 32 (32) 40 (40) 40).
Row 3: Ch 1 (counts as 1st st), sl st 1 in FL of the next 5 st, sk 1 st, FLesc 1 in next st, FLesc 1 in prev st, sk the 2 FLesc st, *sl st 1 in the FL of the next 6 st*, sk 1 st, FLesc 1 in next st, FLesc 1 in prev st, sk the 2 FLesc st*, repeat from *to* until you have 10 st left, BLsc 1 in the last 10 st, turn (=32 (32) 32 (32) 40 (40) 40).
Row 4: Rep row 2.
Repeat row 1-4 until you have crocheted 81 (87) 93 (97) 103 (107) 113 rows.
To make it easy to assemble the hat with the same yarn tail, end with an odd row.
Fasten off & cut yarn, leave a yarn tail that’s about 40 cm / 16 inches to seam the side of the hat & to close the top of the hat.
- With the wrong side facing. With a needle, seam the side of the beanie, with the yarn tail you left after cutting the yarn.
- Still working with the needle, pull through the top of every other row on the top of the hat with the same yarn tail, in a way that makes it possible to pull tight after going through those rows.
- Pull tight & fasten thread.
- Fasten all threads & weave in ends.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the Crochet Løv Slouchy Beanie!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your Crochet Løv Slouchy Beanie that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished Crochet Løv Slouchy Beanie on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished Crochet Løv Slouchy Beanie on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.
JOY OF MOTION & THIS PATTERN TAGGED ON INSTAGRAM