You’re going to love this Granny Square Bag crochet pattern.
It’s such a great crocheted marked bag, that you can use for groceries, your yarn project or anything you’d like!
Pick out your 6 favorite colors & make this beautiful granny square project.
Love this pattern? Save on Pinterest!
Read about my inspiration & yarn I choose or scroll on down for the free pattern. Or simply grab the printable PDF pattern:
So if you haven’t tried Wool Ease before, isn’t this great proof that I really LOVE this yarn?
THE CLASSIC GRANNY SQUARE TURNED BAG
If you like crocheting the traditional granny squares, being able to use them in different projects is so great.
Having a great crocheted bag is just amazing for so many occasions, such as grocery shopping or just to bring along your crochet project.
With some simple edgings & making the final round of the granny squares the same color, you’ll achieve an overall calmer look.
Since you like the Granny Square Bag, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
GRANNY SQUARE BAG – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The Granny Square Bag is a market bag crochet pattern featuring traditional granny squares.
This easy crochet pattern works up quickly and the granny square bag is perfect for your yarn project or anything you’d use a bag for.
Pick your favorite colors & start making this beautiful piece!
Size 5.5 mm / US: I-9 / UK: 5
Yarn amount used:
Color A (CA): 1 skein
Color B (CB): 1 skein
Color C (CC): 1 skein
Color D (CD): 1 skein
Color C (CE): 1 skein
Color F (CF): 1 skein
- 4 Medium Yarn
- 80 % Acrylic, 20 % Wool
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
Each square measure:
11.5 x 11.5 cm / 4.5 x 4.5 inches
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 1 size. Size adjustments are added under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each round, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
- The granny square bag is made up of 18 squares, which are then assembled. Finally an edge of double crochet stitches are created at the top. Then you crochet the handles.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
Width: 34.5 cm / 13.5 inches
Height (including edging): 40.5 cm / 16 inches
Handle length: 30.5 cm / 12 inches
- The best way to adjust the size are going up/down in crochet hook size to create a different sized granny square.
beg = beginning
Ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
ch-2-sp = refers to chain or space previously made, with 2 ch
dc = double crochet
prev = previous
rep = repeat
St = stitch (es)
TECHNIQUES YOU WILL NEED:
To seam the squares together, using the whip stitch is suggested.
GRANNY SQUARES LIST:
Make 18 squares total, 2 of each, in the following color combinations below or in combinations you choose.
Square 1: CA, CD, CE, CA
Square 2: CD, CA, CC, CA
Square 3: CE, CC, CB, CA
Square 4: CC, CF, CB, CA
Square 5: CF, CB, CD, CA
Square 6: CF, CD, CC, CA
Square 7: CB, CE, CF, CA
Square 8: CA, CB, CE, CA
Square 9: CE, CC, CD, CA
All rounds are made with right side facing.
Round 1: Ch 3, dc 2 in 3rd ch (base ch) from hook, *ch 2, dc 3 in base ch*, rep from *to* 2 times, ch 2, sl st in top of ch from beginning of round (=20 st). Fasten off & cut yarn.
Round 2: Make slipknot, dc 3 in any corner ch-2-sp, ch 2, *dc 3 in next corner ch-2-sp, ch 2, dc 3 in same corner ch-2-sp, ch 2*, rep from *to* 2 times, dc 3 in first corner ch-2-sp, ch 2, sl st in top of 1st dc from beg of round (=40 st). Fasten off & cut yarn.
Round 3: Make slipknot, dc 3 in any corner ch-2-sp, ch 2, *dc 3 in next ch-2-sp, ch 2, dc 3 in next corner ch-2-sp, ch 2, dc 3 in same corner ch-2-sp, ch 2*, rep from *to* 2 times, dc 3 in next ch-2-sp, ch 2, dc 3 in first corner ch-2-sp, ch 2, sl st in top of 1st dc from beg of round (=60 st). Fasten off & cut yarn.
Round 4: Make slipknot, dc 3 in any corner ch-2-sp, ch 2, *[dc 3 in next ch-2-sp, ch 2] twice, dc 3 in next corner ch-2-sp, ch 2, dc 3 in same corner ch-2-sp, ch 2*, rep from *to* 2 times, [dc 3 in next ch-2-sp, ch 2] twice, dc 3 in first corner ch-2-sp, ch 2, sl st in top of 1st dc from beg of round (=80 st). Fasten off & cut yarn.
1. Fasten threads & weave in ends on all granny squares.
2. Place the granny squares according to the photo below.
3. Seam the granny squares together using the whip stitch (or other preferred method, such as flat slip stitch join).
4. Seam bottom & along sides, so you have 9 squares on each side.
EDGING TOP & HANDLES:
Work first stitch at top of side seam with right side facing.
Round 1*: Make slipknot, *dc 1 in corner ch-2-sp, dc 1 in the next 3 dc, [dc 1 in next ch-2-sp, dc 1 next 3 dc] three times, dc 1 in next corner ch-2-sp*, repeat from *to* until end of round, sl st in top of ch-2 from beg of round (=102 st).
*If you find the round 1 instructions difficult to follow, you can make 102 st evenly around the top of the bag.
Round 2: Ch 2 (counts as 1st st), dc 1 in each st from prev round, sl st in top of ch-2 from beg of round (=102 st).
Round 3: Ch 2 (counts as 1st st), dc 1 in the next 16 st, ch 60 st, sk 17 st, dc 1 in the next 34 st, ch 60 st, sk, 17 st, dc 1 in the next 17 st, sl st in top of ch-2 from beg of round (=188 st).
Round 4: Ch 2 (counts as 1st st), dc 1 in the next 16 st, sc in next 60 st, dc 1 in the next 34 st, sc in next 60 st, dc 1 in the next 17 st, sl st in top of ch-2 from beg of round (=188 st).
Round 5: Repeat round 4.
Fasten off & cut yarn.
Fasten threads & weave in ends.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the Granny Square Bag crochet pattern!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your crocheted Granny Square Market Bag that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished Granny Square Bag on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
- Share this FREE pattern on Facebook
- Share this FREE pattern on Pinterest & save it to make later.
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.