You’re going to love the Hexagon Crochet Shawl Pattern.
It’s an easy crochet pattern for a shawl, that wraps around your shoulders. Another great feature is the option to tie it around you, which gives you the opportunity to use you hands freely, while keeping warm.
This easy crochet shawl pattern features mostly double crochet stitches, which makes it really beginner friendly and easy to follow.
Love this pattern? Save on Pinterest!
Read about my inspiration & yarn I choose or scroll on down for the free pattern. Or simply grab the printable PDF pattern:
For this crochet pattern We Crochet was kind and sent me some yarn.
I picked the Preciosa Tonal Worsted, because I love the subtle color variations in the yarn and muted color options for this yarn.
A GREAT CROCHET SHAWL PATTERN
If you like keeping your shoulders warm with crocheted shawls, this is a great pattern for you.
The half hexagon shape, makes it perfect, as it wraps neatly over your shoulders.
This crochet shawl pattern also has the option to tie it around you, almost like a wrap cardigan without sleeves, which makes it a great and versatile shawl to make.
Since you like the Hexagon Crochet Shawl Pattern, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
HEXAGON CROCHET SHAWL PATTERN – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
Easy hexagon crochet shawl pattern, featuring basic crochet stitches.
Great variation to a typical shawl, where you can tie it around you for extra warmth.
Pick your 3 favorite colors for the simple striping or opt for a single colored version.
Size 6.5 mm / US: K – 10.5 / UK: 3
Hook I used: Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks from Knitpro
Yarn amount used:
CA: 1 skein / 100 g / 250 m /273 yards
CB: 1 skein / 100 g / 250 m /273 yards
CC: 1 skein / 100 g / 250 m /273 yards
- 4 medium yarn, Worsted yarn.
- 100 % Merino Wool
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
Measured over double crochet stitches crocheted in rows:
11 stitches & 9 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 1 size, however size adjustments are suggested under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
Height: 53 cm / 20.8 inches
This crochet pattern is a shawl, with the option to tie it around you to work as a wrap. Because of that, you will see this pattern is written with one size only.
However, if you want to adjust the sizes, this is how you can:
- Add/reduce the number of rows you crochet on the main part.
- Add/reduce the number of rows you crochet when crocheting the ties.
CA = color A
CB = color B
CC = color C
ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
ch-2-space = refers to chain or space previously made, with 2 ch
FSC = foundation single crochet
dc = double crochet
st = stitch (es)
Row 3 (with CA): dc 1 in first 2 st, *dc 1 in ch-2-space, ch 2, dc 1 in same ch-2-space, dc 1 in next 4 st*, repeat from *to* 2 times, dc 1 in ch-2-space, ch 2, dc 1 in same ch-2-space, dc 1 in last 2 st, turn (=32 st).
Row 5-25 (with CA): Repeat row 4.
Row 26-27 (with CB): Repeat row 4.
Row 28 (with CA): Repeat row 4.
Row 29-36 (with CB): Repeat row 4.
Row 37-38 (with CC): Repeat row 4.
Row 39 (with CB): Repeat row 4.
Row 40-45 (with CC): Repeat row 4.
When repeating row 4, stitch count will increase with 6 stitches per row. At the end of row 45, stitch count will be 284.
Do not fasten off, continue directly on first tie.
To work the first tie, continue without fastening yarn on main part.
Row 1: dc 1 in the first 3 st, turn (=3).
Row 2- 42*: Repeat row 1.
*Or until you reach desired length.
Fasten off & cut yarn.
To work the second tie, reattach yarn on the opposite side and work over the last 3 st. Repeat instructions for first tie.
Fasten threads & weave in ends.
To tie the shawl together:
- Place the shawl over your shoulders.
- Thread the ties through the last ch-2-spaces in the back corners.
To hide the ties:
- Thread the ties through the ch-2-spaces along the front ch-2-spaces.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the Hexagon Crochet Shawl Pattern!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your finished crochet shawl using the Hexagon Crochet Shawl Pattern that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished Hexagon Crochet Shawl Pattern on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
- Share this FREE pattern on Facebook
- Share this FREE pattern on Pinterest & save it to make later.
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.