You’re going to love this crochet pattern for the Light Like A Feather Shawl. It’s such a light weight crochet shawl, which makes it such a comfortable shawl to wear.
You’re going to need 3 skeins of Kid Silk Yarn, and this shawl is pretty quick to crochet.
I loved playing with intarsia to create the two colored look on this shawl, which makes it really beautiful when you wear it.
When Hobbii yarns reached out to me to ask me if I wanted to receive some yarn from them, I was so happy.
The yarn to design this pattern is sponsored by Hobbi Yarns, but I’m not otherwise compensated by them.
After receiving the yarn from Hobbii Yarns, I was so excited to start designing.
The Kid Silk Yarn by Hobbii, is super soft & fun to crochet with. The only negative is the fact that Kid Silk yarn is hard to frog, but that’s typical for those types of yarn, no matter what brand.
There’s so many beautiful & soft color options of this yarn & the best thing is that it ships worldwide.
A GREAT LIGHT WEIGHT CROCHET PROJECT
Have you ever needed to bring a crochet pattern along with you when you’re out of the house?
Well, I do this all the time.
But often I feel like the project I’m working on is too big to bring with me, such as crochet sweaters & cardigans.
This crochet shawl is made by less than 3 skeins that weight’s 25 g per skein. That makes this the perfect light weight project to bring with you when you’re traveling or are out of the house for a while!
Since you like the Light Like A Feather Shawl, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
CROCHET LIGHT LIKE A FEATHER SHAWL – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The Light Like A Feather Shawl is a fun & easy crochet shawl. It’s a biased shaped shawl & it’s amazing see how the shawl takes form as you crochet.
This crochet pattern mostly contains half double crochet stitches, with a border with puff stitches.
Whats fun about the shawl is the intarsia colorwork. It’s definitely not as difficult as it might sound.
Size 5 mm / US: H-8 / UK: 6
Hook I used: Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks from Knitpro
Hobbii Yarn – Kid Silk in color Light Grey (CA) & Dark Rose (CB).
Yarn amount used:
Color A (CA):
- A little less than: 2 skeins / 50 g / 390 m / 426 yards
Color B (CB):
- Approximately: 1 skein / 25 g / 195 m / 213 yards
- 0 Lace yarn.
- 70 % kid mohair, 30 % silk
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
- Blocking materials.
- Measuring Tape
- Stitch Markers
Measured with half double crochet stitches crocheted in rows:
15 stitches & 16 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked, unless otherwise specified.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 1 size, however size adjustments are suggested under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
- Note that it’s not easy to see the 1st stitch on each row, because you turn & make crochet stitches directly in the first stitch, without chains, because of that it’s suggested to use stitch markers on each row. When you start recognizing the pattern, you might find it easier to skip using them.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
- 130 cm / 51.25 inches measured along the outer edge
- 101.5 cm / 40 inches measured along the final row
- Make shawl smaller by reducing the number of rows you make.
- Make shawl bigger by adding extra rows in the same manner.
4-hdc-puff = half double crochet 4x puff stitch
Ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
Hdc = half double crochet (tutorial)
PM = place stitch marker
prev = previous
rep = repeat
St = stitch (es)
STITCHES YOU WILL NEED:
HALF DOUBLE CROCHET 4X PUFF STITCH (4-hdc-puff):
In the next stitch, *yo, pull up a loop*, repeat from *to* 3 more times, you have 9 loops on the hook. Yo, pull through the 9 loops on the hook.
TECHNIQUES YOU WILL NEED:
When changing from one color to another, you’ll never finish the stitch with the color you where working with.
Do all the steps of the stitch, then leave the last step unworked. Yarn over with the color for the next st & pull yarn through.
Repeat this for every time you change colors to make the color changes look beautiful.
To crochet intarsia means that you will work with 2 or more colors on the same row, but in separate sections. That means you don’t have to let the yarn you’re not working with follow along behind or inside the crochet stitch.
When you come to the place where you’ll change color. Move the working strand & skein to the front of the work & pick up the next color you will be working with.
Repeat the next time you need to change color.
Crocheted from the small tip with increasing width for each row. To accompany the written instructions, please see the chart below.
Ch 1 st.
Row 1 with CA: Hdc 3 st in 1st ch, turn (= 3 st).
Row 2 with CA: Hdc 4 st directly in 1st st (no ch), PM in 1st st made, hdc 1 in each st from prev row until you have 2 st left, 4-hdc-puff 1 in next st, do not crochet in last st, turn (=5 st).
Row 3 with CA: 4-hdc-puff directly in 1st st (no ch), PM in 1st st made, hdc 1 in each st from prev row until end of row, turn (= 5 st).
Row 4-59 with CA: Repeat row 2 and 3 every other row.
Stitch count will increase with 2 stitches on each even row like this: You will increase 3 stitches in the beginning of the row by crocheting 4 stitches in 1 stitch & then leave the last stitch unworked. Odd rows will have the same stitch count as the previous even row.
You are now going to start working intarsia for color changes (see instructions on how this is done above), start introducing color B in row 60 as described below:
Row 60: With CB hdc 4 st directly in 1st st (no ch), PM in 1st st made, with CA hdc 1 in each st from prev row until you have 2 st left, 4-hdc-puff 1 in next st, do not crochet in last st, turn (= ? st).
In the following rows, always crochet CA in CA stitches & CB in CB stitches. New stitches on even rows will always be CB.
Row 61-128: Work intarsia. Repeat row 2 and 3 every other row.
Fasten off & cut yarn.
Fasten threads & weave in ends.
Block shawl to specified size.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the crochet Light Like a Feather Shawl!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your crochet Light Like a Feather Shawl that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished crochet Light Like a Feather Shawl on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished crochet Light Like a Feather Shawl on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.