You’re going to love the crochet Autumn Leaves Shawl. It’s a fun one skein wonder & it’s a great introduction to Tunisian crochet.
Personally this is the second project I’ve made with Tunisian crochet & I’m hooked!
This shawl is perfect for fall & because of that it got it’s name Autumn Leaves Shawl, plus the name of the yarn color it “Høstløv” which also means autumn leaves.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you). Read more here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide FREE posts & crochet patterns.
To crochet this shawl I’ve used 1 skein of our Joy of Motion Yarn, sock yarn.
It’s perfect for a one skein wonder shawl.
The yarn is 75 % Merino & 25 % Nylon.
THE PERFECT FALL CROCHET SHAWL
The crochet Autumn Leaves Shawl is a great crochet project for fall.
It’s truly inspired by falling leaves, with the burnt & brown orange color featured in the pictures.
Since you like the crochet Autumn Leaves Shawl, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
CROCHET AUTUMN LEAVES SHAWL – THE FREE TUNISIAN CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The crochet Autumn Leaves Shawl is a great newbie friendly crochet shawl if you want to try Tunisian crochet.
The shawl rows repeats throughout the shawl, & keeping track of stitch count is easy.
What’s most fun about this shawl is the amazing shape it creates & the fact that you only need 1 skein to make it.
TUNISIAN CROCHET HOOK:
Size 5 mm / US: H-8 / UK: 6
with a 60 cm / approximately 24 inch wire (or longer).
Joy of Motion Yarn – Favorite Sock in color Høstløv.
Yarn amount used:
1 skein / 100 g / 425 m / 465 yards
- 0 lace yarn, light fingering.
- 75 % Superwash merino, 25 % nylon
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
Measured with Tdc crocheted in rows, includes return:
20 stitches & 9 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are blocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 1 size, however size adjustments are suggested under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
- 142 cm / 56 inches measured along the outer edge
- 91 cm / 35.8 inches measured along the final row
- Make shawl smaller by reducing the number of rows you make.
- Make shawl bigger by adding extra rows in the same manner.
ch = chain (s)
Tdc = Tunisian double crochet
St = stitch (es)
yo = yarn over
STITCHES YOU WILL NEED:
TUNISIAN DOUBLE CROCHET (Tdc):
Yo, insert hook in next stitch, yo and pull up a loop, yo, pull through 2.
Each time you repeat, you’ll add 1 extra loop on the hook.
TECHNIQUES YOU WILL NEED:
STANDARD TUNISIAN RETURN (return):
Yo, pull through 1, *yo, pull through 2*, repeat from *to* until you have 1 loop on the hook.
WHERE IS THE FRONT VERTICAL BAR?
After crocheting the first return pass, you should be able to see distinct vertical bars. One in the front of the work (the front vertical bar) & one in the back (the back vertical bar).
*Always start the first stitch on each row in the second front vertical bar.
All stitches are made in the front vertical bar of the stitch, except the final row.
Row 1: Ch 1 (counts as 1st st), tdc 3 in 2nd ch from hook, return (=4 st).
Row 2: Ch 1, tdc 4 in next st, tdc 1 in each st until you have 1 st left, do not crochet in last st, return (=6 st).
Row 3 – 70: Repeat row 2.
The stitch count will increase with 2 stitches for each repeated row.
At the end of row 70 you will have 142 stitches.
Row 71: Ch 1 (counts as 1st st), sl st 1 between each vertical bar across to make the upper edge even.
Fasten off & cut yarn.
Fasten threads & weave in ends.
Block the shawl.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the crochet Autumn Leaves Shawl!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your crochet Autumn Leaves Shawl that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished crochet Autumn Leaves Shawl on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished crochet Autumn Leaves Shawl on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
- Share this FREE pattern on Facebook.
- Share this FREE pattern on Pinterest & save it to make later.
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.