You’re going to love the crochet Bruma Hat, because it’s so warm & easy to crochet. It comes in sizes from 12-24 months to adult man.
What’s so great about this hat crochet pattern is the fact that it is double brimmed, that means you can know it’s going to keep you warm.
That also means you’re going to love using this hat throughout fall & winter.
Disclosure. The blog posts on this website may contain affiliate links. This means I’ll get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (with no additional cost to you). I only use these for products I use & have a great experience with & I feel gives value to you. Read more about my reasoning here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide you FREE blog posts & crochet patterns. By sharing my content you make it possible for me to continue publishing FREE content. All content is shared with a good intention & is meant to inspire you to crochet! Thank you!
All that sounds difficult? Well, I’m happy to say it contains only basic crochet stitches, with some variations. Yay!
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN MORE!
The yarn used to crochet this hat is a 100 % wool yarn from Sandnes Garn called Peer Gynt.
You will need 2 colors of yarn, 1 for the inside of the hat & another one for the outside. You can of course stick with one color if you prefer.
The yarn comes in a lot of beautiful colors.
There are also some great substitutes for this yarn here.
THE PERFECT FALL & WINTER CROCHET PROJECT
The crochet Bruma hat is designed with fall & winter in mind. Imagine keeping yourself warm & cozy on those cold days.
While the crochet Bruma hat is a great ego make, it’s also made with Christmas in mind. The crochet hat is definitely a great gift for Christmas. First of all it doesn’t take too long to crochet, but still it has all the details that makes it an interesting gift.
The crochet hat is also made with a double brim, & it will keep you warm throughout fall & winter season, while still looking good!
Since you like the Bruma hat, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
CROCHET BRUMA HAT – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The crochet Bruma Hat is a easy crochet pattern that uses only basic crochet stitches.
It’s double brimmed & because of that it keeps you super warm for fall & winter. Use two different colors for the inside & outside to make it look special.
The crochet Bruma Hat comes in sizes starting with 12 months & the biggest size is for adults.
Size 5 mm / US: H – 8 / UK: 6
Hook I used: Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks from Knitpro
Peer Gynt – Sandnes Garn in colors A: 2650 & B: 7572.
Yarn amount used:
- 12-24 months: 1 skein / 45 g / 81 m / 89 yards
- Children: 2 skeins / 55 g / 101 m / 110 yards
- Teen: 2 skeins / 60 g / 111 m / 121 yards
- Adult: 2 skeins / 75 g / 134 m / 146 yards
- 12-24 months: 1 skein / 39 g / 71 m / 77 yards
- Children: 1 skeins / 45 g / 82 m / 90 yards
- Teen: 1 skeins / 50 g / 90 m / 98 yards
- Adult: 2 skeins / 56 g / 103 m / 112 yards
- 3 light yarn, DK yarn.
- 100 % Norwegian Wool
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
Measured with treble crochet stitches crocheted in rounds:
15 stitches & 6 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 4 sizes, where the numbers for the different sizes is given in parenthesis like this: 12-24 months (child) teen (adult). If just one number is given, it applies to all sizes. I recommend that you highlight or circle the size you’re making before you begin, to make the pattern easier to follow.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
|Head Circumference||Hat Circumference||Hat Height|
|12-24 months||43,5 – 46 cm /|
17 – 18 inches
|42 cm / 17 inches||19 cm / 7.5 inches|
|Child||48,5 – 51 cm /|
19 – 20 inches
|46,7 cm / 18 inches||21 cm / 8.2 inches|
|Teen||53,5 cm / 21 inches||51,3 cm / 20 inches||21 cm / 8.2 inches|
|Adult||56 – 58 cm /|
22 – 23 inches
|56 cm / 22 inches||23 cm / 9 inches|
- Head sizes varies, take measurements to find the size that fits the best.
- Note: Any size adjustments affect yarn usage & you might need more/less yarn than suggested.
- Adjust hat circumference by adding extra stitches before you start round 1, added/reduced by 7 stitches at a time.
- Adjust hat height by adding/reducing the number of rounds you crochet.
BLsc = back loop single crochet
BLtr = back loop treble crochet
CA = color A
CB = color B
Ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
FSC = foundation single crochet
Rep = repeat
Sc = single crochet (tutorial)
Sl st = slip stitch (tutorial)
St = stitch (es)
tr = treble crochet
STITCHES YOU WILL NEED:
FOUNDATION SINGLE CROCHET STITCH (FSC):
Step 1: Ch 2 st.
Step 2: Insert hook into 2nd ch from hook, pull up a loop. Yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook.
Step 3: Insert hook into previous “chain” you made (It should look like you go through a resemblance of a “normal” st, with 2 strands of yarn), pull up a loop, yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook.
Repeat step 3 until you’ve made enough stitches. *2nd ch in step 1 makes 1 st, step 2 makes 1 st & every time step 3 is repeated you make 1 st.
TECHNIQUES YOU WILL NEED:
CHANGING COLOR WITH DIFFERENT COLOR ON DIFFERENT ROWS:
When working with different colors on different rows, you’ll never finish the last stitch on the last row with one color, with the color you where working with.
Do all the steps of the stitch, then leave the last step unworked. Yarn over with the color for the next st & pull yarn through.
Repeat this for every row you change colors to make the color changes look beautiful.
CROCHETING IN THE BACK LOOP:
This means that you will not crochet through the whole stitch as usual. A typical stitch contains two loops. One in the front, nearest you, and another stitch in the back, furthest away from you. One is called the front loop (the one nearest you), the other one the back loop, the one furthest away from you.
For this pattern you will crochet single crochet stitches and treble crochet stitches through the back loop.
BRIM ON THE INSIDE:
Make 63 (70) 77 (84) st with CA using the FSC technique, sl st in 1st st. Be careful not to twist the stitches.
Row 1 with CA: Ch 1 (counts as 1st st), sc 1 in each FSC made, sl st in 1st ch from beg of round (= 63 (70) 77 (84) st).
Row 2 with CA: Ch 1 (counts as 1st st), sc 1 in each st from prev round, sl st in 1st ch from beg of round (= 63 (70) 77 (84) st).
Row 3 – 14 with CA: Rep row 2 (= 63 (70) 77 (84) st).
DECREASING ON THE TOP :
Fasten threads & weave in ends.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the crochet Bruma Hat!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your crochet Bruma Hat that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished crochet Bruma Hat on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished crochet Bruma Hat on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
- Share this FREE pattern on Facebook
- Share this FREE pattern on Pinterest & save it to make later.
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.