Introducing the Lux Headband, a beautiful headband with subtle texture.
It’s made using 100 % hand dyed merino yarn from Joy of Motion Yarn.
The headband can be used 3 different ways:
- On the right side.
- On the wrong side.
- With it crossed in the front (if you’re okay with it also crossed in the back)!
Honestly I love all 3!
This is the perfect headband if you love using hand dyed yarn, as it uses less than half the skein of our Favorite DK, that means you can make 2, one for yourself & one as a gift!
Which makes it really affordable.
Table of Contents
To design this crochet ear warmer, I used our Favorite DK yarn, a super soft 100 % superwash merino yarn.
I used the color Kornåker, that shows off the most earthy yellow, but looks like luxury & almost golden at the same time.
If you love this yarn, you can find it here.
THE AFFORDABLE HAND DYED YARN CROCHET PROJECT
If you love hand dyed yarns, but you feel it quickly becomes expensive, this crochet pattern definitely makes it affordable.
Since you’ll only need less than a half skein for one headband, you can make 2 with just one skein.
This crochet headband also looks so amazing, & is easy to use, which makes it a great gift!
Since you like the Lux Headband, these might interest you too?
How Long Does It Take To Crochet That?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
Buy the Lux Headband Crochet Pattern
Get the downloadable PDF crochet pattern for this crochet pattern, or join the Crochet Everyday Bliss Membership and get access to download ALL crochet patterns and more
CROCHET LUX HEADBAND – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
About The Pattern
The Lux Headband is the perfect headband for any occasion. It can be dressed up or down, depending on your style.
The stitch looks beautiful both from the right side and wrong side, so you can choose to show of both sides.
Personally I also think it looks amazing when you twist it in the front, & I don’t mind that it results in a twist in the back as well.
This pattern uses Joy of Motion Yarn Favorite DK & works up quickly.
Hook I used: Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks from Knitpro
Joy of Motion Yarn – Favorite DK in color Kornåker.
Yarn amount used:
<0.5 skein / 45 g / 112.5 m / 123 yards
- 3 light yarn, DK yarn.
- 100% Superwash Merino
Other Materials Needed
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
Measured with stitch combo crocheted in rounds:
22 stitches & 28 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms.
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger. Learn more about testing gauge.
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge. Learn more about substituting yarn.
- This pattern is written for 1 size, however size adjustments are suggested under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each round, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
Size & Measurements
Circumference: 50 cm / 19.7 inches
Height: 10 cm / 3.9 inches
- Note: Any size adjustments affect yarn usage & you might need more/less yarn than suggested.
- Adjust headband circumference by adding extra stitches before you start round 1, added/reduced by 2 stitches at a time.
- Adjust headband height by adding/reducing the number of rounds you crochet.
Beg = beginning
ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
FSC = foundation single crochet
Hdc = half double crochet (tutorial)
prev = previous
Sl st = slip stitch (tutorial)
St = stitch (es)
yo = yarn over
Stitches You Will Need
Step 1: Ch 2 st.
Step 2: Insert hook into 2nd ch from hook, pull up a loop. Yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook.
Step 3: Insert hook into previous “chain” you made (It should look like you go through a resemblance of a “normal” st, with 2 strands of yarn), pull up a loop, yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook.
Repeat step 3 until you’ve made enough stitches. *2nd ch in step 1 makes 1 st, step 2 makes 1 st & every time step 3 is repeated you make 1 st.
Make 109 st using the FSC method, sl st in 1st st.
Round 1: Ch 2 (counts as 1st st) hdc 1 in each st, sl st in 2nd ch from beg of round.
From now you will work in spiral, without ending rounds.
Place stitch marker in first stitch on row 2 & keep moving it each round to easily identify the first stitch of each round.
Note: The first stitch on round 2 is made in the same place as sl st from round 1.
Round 2-24*: *Hdc 1 in next st, sl st 1 in next st*, repeat from *to* until you have crocheted 24 rounds (=109 st).
*This means that from round 3, the slip stitches will be crocheted in hdc stitches from previous round, and hdc stitches will be crocheted in slip stitches.
Round 25: Hdc 1 in each st from prev round, sl st in 1st st (=109 st).
Fasten off & cut yarn.
Fasten threads & weave in ends.
This headband can be used both with the right side out & the wrong side out. So try to weave in ends so they don’t show on either side.
Share & Worth Noting
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you.
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
My crochet patterns can be used to sell handmade pieces. You are required to credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to My website: https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.