You’re going to love this free pattern for the crochet Summer Clutch. First of all, if you don’t have much time, this amazing crochet pattern is perfect for you.
All you need is about half a skein of one typical sized fabric yarn skein (750 g), a 15 mm crochet hook & one or two hours to kill. That’s it!
Disclosure. The blog posts on this website may contain affiliate links. This means I’ll get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (with no additional cost to you). I only use these for products I use & have a great experience with & I feel gives value to you. Read more about my reasoning here.
Not convinced? Well the crochet Summer Clutch is also going to be your true companion whenever you need to bring something with you all summer long. Let say, shopping, traveling, a summer party? That’s what the Summer Clutch pattern is made for.
Best of all, it’s a FREE crochet pattern.
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN MORE!
For the crochet Summer Clutch, you’re going to need fabric yarn. Fabric yarn is typically yarn made from fabric waste. That can be fabric scraps from t-shirt production or anything made from fabric. It’s great to use for projects like rugs, pillows, market bags & obviously crocheted clutches.
Any fabric yarn has typically the same thickness, which means you don’t have to go for a special brand, rather use what you can find & in a color you like.
You can also make fabric yarn from old t-shirts you don’t use anymore, that’s such a great way to reuse your waste, rather than throw away. Added bonus, you can make without using any money!
For the pictured market bag, the yarn used is from Hoooked Zpagetti.
THIS PATTERN IS PERFECT FOR SUMMER
Yes, you’re going to love to make this crochet clutch at any time & anywhere, however it’s just perfect for summer.
Imagine bringing your brand new crochet Summer Clutch to your summer vacation? It’s perfect for that. Why? You can make it in fun summer colors & it can withstand some wear & tear from your active holiday.
But also imagine bringing your brand new crochet clutch to any party. Summer or winter. It’s the perfect size for any party. You can bring all your essentials in the crochet Summer Clutch.
Since you like the crochet Summer Clutch, these might interest you too?
CROCHET SUMMER CLUTCH – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
Grab the ad-free, premium PDF version of the pattern here.
Add this pattern to your favorites on Love Crochet here.
Add this pattern to your Ravelry queue here.
About the pattern:
You’re going to love to crochet this pattern. The crochet Summer Clutch is such a rewarding pattern & it works up fast. Nothing’s like a great quick crochet pattern. It’s such a fun crochet idea to crochet, especially since you can find fabric yarn in such great colors & patterns.
What’s especially neat about the crochet Summer Clutch is that you can use recycled fabric to make it. Either yarn from your own old clothes or from fabric waste.
So don’t be afraid to play with colors on this one, have some fun!
Easy – Intermediate.
- Crochet hook size 15 mm / US: P/Q / UK: –
- Hook I used: A wooden crochet hook from a Wool and the Gang kit
- 6 Super Bulky Yarn:
- Yarn I used:
- Hoooked Zpagetti
- Note: You can use any fabric yarn for this bag & even from your own old t-shirts.
- Yarn amount needed:
- Approximately 0.5 skein / 375 g / 62.5 m / 68 yards
- Yarn I used:
- 2 buttons/closing, either magnetic or snap.
- Find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
Measured in with back loop slip stitches crocheted in the rounds.
0,8 stitches and 0,86 rows per cm // 8 stitches & 8,6 rows per 10 cm.
2 stitches and 2.2 rows per inch // 8 stitches & 8.6 rows per 4 inch.
Size & Measurements:
Width: 26 cm / 10.2 inches measured at the narrowest. The overlapping closing measures about 28 cm / 11 inches.
Height: 16 cm / 6.3 inches measured on the back of the bag.
BL = back loop
Ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
Dc = double crochet (tutorial)
FL = front loop
FSC = foundation single crochet (tutorial)
Prev = previous
Sc = single crochet (tutorial)
Sk = skip
Sl st = slip stitch (tutorial)
St = stitch (es)
Tr = treble crochet (tutorial)
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Gauge isn’t that important for this tutorial. It can be made in any size & the size can be adjusted by editing starting stitches. However, note that any change in size, affects how much yarn you’ll need.
- But if trying to match gauge: Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- At the end of each row/round, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
Special stitches you will need:
- Foundation Single Crochet (FSC)
- Crocheting in the front & back loop. This means that you will not crochet through the whole stitch as usual. A typical stitch contains two loops. One in the front, nearest you, and another stitch in the back, furthest away from you. One is called the front loop (the one nearest you), the other one the back loop, the one furthest away from you. For this pattern you will crochet slip stitches through the front loop.
Make 20 st using the FSC technique.
Notice: You’re making stitches to work in on both sides when using the FSC technique. The side you’re making with the crochet hook is the side you’d typically continue to crochet in, if you turn & continue. This will be called the regular side. However the other side or the opposite side will be the first side to crochet in on this project.
Round 1: Without turning, sl st directly in FL of opposite side of last FSC made, sl st in FL of all st on opposite side, 19 st + the first sl st. Sl st in FL of all st on the regular side, 20 st, do not end round (=40 st).
Round 2: Sl st in BL of all st from prev round, do not end round (=40 st).
Round 3-11: Repeat round 2.
From now on you’re going to crochet in rows to make the overlapping closing of the clutch.
Row 1: Turn. Ch 1, sc 1 in the next 19 st, turn (=20 st).
Row 2: Ch 1, *sk 2 st, dc 2 in next st, ch 5 st, sc 1 in 2nd ch from hook, sc 1 in the next 3 ch, dc 2 in same st as prev 2 dc, sk 2 st, sc 1 in next st*. Repeat from *to* 2 more times, turn (=43 st).
(You will not work in last st from prev row).
Row 3: Ch 3 st (counts as 1 st), yarn over, draw up a loop from BL of the next 6 st, yarn over, pull through all loops on hook, ch 2 st, sc 1 in 5th ch from prev row, *yarn over, draw up a loop from BL of the next 13 st, yarn over, pull through all loops on hook, ch 2 st, sc in 5th ch from last row*, repeat from *to* 1 more time, yarn over, pull up a loop from BL of the next 6 st, yarn over, pull through all loops on hook, ch 2, tr 1 in next st (=18 st).
Fasten off & cut yarn.
Fasten threads & weave in ends.
Add 2 buttons, either magnetic or snap on the inside of the closing.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the crochet Quick Market Bag!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished Striped Sunglasses Pouch on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished Striped Sunglasses Pouch on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.