If you love oversized crochet scarf, the crochet Scato scarf is perfect for you.
It’s warm & cozy, but also works up pretty fast!
As with any crochet scarf, it can be made in the length you prefer & you can easily adjust it.
Disclosure. The blog posts on this website may contain affiliate links. This means I’ll get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (with no additional cost to you). I only use these for products I use & have a great experience with & I feel gives value to you. Read more about my reasoning here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide you FREE blog posts & crochet patterns. By sharing my content you make it possible for me to continue publishing FREE content. All content is shared with a good intention & is meant to inspire you to crochet! Thank you!
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN MORE!
The crochet Scato Scarf was made with a yarn from Lion Brand Yarn called Wool-Ease Chunky.
This yarn is 80% acrylic & 20 % wool & it is great to crochet with.
The wool makes it warm & it’s a great affordable yarn.
It comes in lots of different colors & you can never get bored.
I’m sure you’re going to love this yarn & remember to comment below & let me know which color you’re using!
THE PERFECT WINTER CROCHET PROJECT
It’s that time of year again, it’s so cold outside!
Who doesn’t love having a beautiful oversized crochet scarf to wear? The crochet Scato scarf is made with just that in mind.
What’s so great about this crochet scarf is the fact that the crochet bubbles gives it beautiful textured look. While the yarn & size makes it super comfortable.
Since you like the crochet Scato Scarf, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
CROCHET SCATO SCARF – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The Scato Scarf crochet pattern is a pattern for a really lovely oversized scarf. It has a beautiful textured stitch pattern that makes it cozy & perfect for winter. The unique design makes it extra comfortable & warm around the neck.
The pattern is written for only one size, however size adjustments are included throughout the pattern. Play around with colors to make it fit your style.
- Main Hook: 8 mm / US: L – 11 / UK: 0
- Hook used for FSC stitches (optional): 10 mm / US: N/P-15 / UK: 000
Hook I used: Waves Crochet Hooks from Knitpro
Lion Brand – Wool-Ease Chunky.
Yarn amount used:
Color A (grey):
- 560 gram / 560 meters / 612 yards / 4 skeins
Color B (green):
- 140 gram / 140 meters / 153 yards / 1 skeins
- 5 bulky yarn.
- 80 % acrylic, 20 % wool
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
- Tape measure
Measured with the quick bubblepattern crocheted in rows:
8 stitches & 8 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 1 size, however size adjustments are suggested under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
One-size, can be customized.
Width at the widest: 24,5 cm / 9.6 inches
Width at the slimmest (ribbing): 18 cm / 7.1 inches
Total length without fringe: 13 cm / 5.1 inch
Length ribbing (middle) part: 10.5 cm / 4.1 inch
Length each end (QB stitch) part: 88 cm / 34.6 inches
- Length can be customized 2 ways:
- After row 65 to make the QB part longer, must then be repeated after row 102 to make both QB parts the same length.
- After row 102 to make ribbing part longer.
- Width can be customized by adding/reducing the number of stitches when you start to crochet.
BPdc = back post double crochet
ch = chain(s)
FPdc = front post double crochet
prev = previous
QB = Quick Bubblepattern
st = stitch (es)
yo = yarn over
STITCHES YOU WILL NEED:
You will need to use the foundation single crochet stitch & the quick bubblepattern.
QUICK BUBBLEPATTERN (QB):
*in the next st, draw up a loop, yo, draw up a loop from same stitch, yo, pull through all* repeat. Start rows with a Quick Bubblepattern Stitch directly in the last stitch from prev row.
FOUNDATION SINGLE CROCHET (FSC):
Step 1: Ch 2 st.
Step 2: Insert hook into 2nd ch from hook, pull up a loop. Yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook.
Step 3: Insert hook into prev “chain” you made (It should look like you go through a resemblance of a “normal” st, with 2 strands of yarn), pull up a loop, yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook. Repeat step 3 until you’ve made enough stitches.
*2nd ch in step 1 makes 1 st, step 2 makes 1 st & every time step 3 is repeated you make 1 st.
Front Post & Back Post Double Crochet:
FPdc written description:
Yo, insert your hook from front to back between the previous stitch & the stitch you’re working, & bring it to the front again between the stitch you’re working & the next stitch, yo & pull up a loop, you have 3 loops on the hook, yarn over & pull through 2 of the 3 loops, yarn over and pull through the 2 last loops.
BPdc written description:
Yo, insert your hook from back to front between the previous stitch & the stitch you’re working, & bring it to the back again between the stitch you’re working & the next stitch, yo & pull up a loop, you have 3 loops on the hook, yo & pull through 2 of the 3 loops, yarn over and pull through the 2 last loops.
TECHNIQUES YOU WILL NEED:
CHANGING COLOR WITH DIFFERENT COLOR ON DIFFERENT ROWS:
When working with different colors on different rows, you’ll never finish the last stitch on the last row with one color, with the color you where working with.
Do all the steps of the stitch, then leave the last step unworked. Yarn over with the color for the next st & pull yarn through.
Repeat this for every row you change colors to make the color changes look beautiful.
No chains to start QB rows, just turn make QB st directly in last st from prev row.
With hook size 10 mm, make 26 st using the foundation single crochet technique.
Following instructions are all made with hook size 8 mm:
Row 1-65 (with color 1): QB 26 st, turn (=26 st).
Row 66-102 (with color 2): Ch 2 (counts as 1st st), *FPdc 1, BPdc 1* repeat from *to* until end of row, turn (=26 st).
Row 103-167 (with color 1): QB 26 st, turn (=26 st).
Fasten off & cut yarn.
Fasten threads & weave in ends.
For this scarf you can add fringe on each end if you’d like.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the crochet Scato Scarf!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your crochet Scato Scarf that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished crochet Scato Scarf on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished crochet Scato Scarf on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
- Share this FREE pattern on Facebook
- Share this FREE pattern on Pinterest & save it to make later.
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.
JOY OF MOTION & THIS PATTERN TAGGED ON INSTAGRAM