You’re going to love this Easy Crochet Scarf pattern for the Diagonal Sunset Wrap.
It’s the perfect crochet accessory for the colder season & a fun crochet project to make.
Love this crochet pattern? Save on Pinterest!
Read about my inspiration & yarn I choose or scroll on down for the free pattern. Or simply grab the printable PDF pattern:
This yarn is so warm & lovely to work with.
What I find the most exciting is all the colors you can choose from. Such as the gradient colorways & how they combine with the solid colors.
THE PERFECT EASY PROJECT, BUT FEATURES EXCITING TECHNIQUES
When crocheting this easy crochet scarf, you don’t have to worry about the crochet stitches being difficult, because it’s only single crochet stitches.
However, this project features intarsia colorwork, and it is an easy introduction to the technique.
The project is also crocheted on the diagonal, which makes it a fun introduction to that technique as well.
One of the edges also features the picot stitch, that softens the otherwise “hard” look.
This scarf naturally curl as you work it, which doesn’t necessarily disappear by blocking it. But in my opinion it also gives it a great look.
Since you like the Easy Crochet Scarf, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
EASY CROCHET SCARF – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The Easy Crochet Scarf is a beautiful crochet scarf using only single crochet stitches & picot stitches.
It’s easy to make, but what’s makes it interesting is the diagonal shape & intarsia colorwork.
Pick the colors you love & start stitching this beautiful easy crochet scarf & stay warm during the cold season.
Size 6.5 mm / US: K – 10.5 / UK: 3
Hook I used: Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks from Knitpro
Yarn amount used:
Color A: 3 skeins
Color B: 3 skeins
- 4 yarn, worsted
- 70 % superwash wool, 30 % nylon
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
Measured on single crochet stitches crocheted in rows:
15 stitches & 21 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 1 size, however size adjustments are suggested under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
- This wrap tends to curl while you crochet it. Because if that it is recommended to block it to shape.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
Width: 45 cm / 17.7 inches
Length: 207 cm / 81.5
- Width: Add/reduce the number of FSC stitches you start with to make the wrap wider/narrover.
- Length: Add/reduce the number of rows you crochet to make the wrap longer/shorter.
CA = color A
CB = color B
Ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
FSC = foundation single crochet
Rep = repeat
prev = previous
Sc = single crochet (tutorial)
Sc2tog = crochet together 2 single crochet stitches
St = stitch (es)
STITCHED YOU WILL NEED:
sc2tog (single crochet 2 together): pull up a loop from the next 2 st, yo, draw up a loop, you have 3 loops on the hook, yo, pull through all loops on the hook
TECHNIQUES YOU WILL NEED:
When changing from one color to another, you’ll never finish the stitch with the color you where working with.
Do all the steps of the stitch, then leave the last step unworked. Yarn over with the color for the next st & pull yarn through.
Repeat this for every time you change colors to make the color changes look beautiful.
To crochet intarsia means that you will work with 2 or more colors on the same row, but in separate sections. That means you don’t have to let the yarn you’re not working with follow along behind or inside the crochet stitch.
When you come to the place where you’ll change color. Move the working strand & skein to the front of the work & pick up the next color you will be working with.
Repeat the next time you need to change color.
With CA FSC 26, then with CB FSC 39 (=65 st).
Row 1: With CB, sc 2 directly in 1st st (no ch), sc 1 in the next 37 st, with CA, sc 1 in each st until you have 2 st left, sc2tog, turn (=65 st).
Row 2: With CA, sk last st from prev row, sc 1 directly in next st (no ch), sc 1 in the next 25 st, with CB, sc 1 in each st until you have 1 st left, sc 1 in last st, turn (=65 st).
Repeat row 1 and 2 every other row until you have crocheted 237 rows, end with a repeat of row 1. Continue directly on edging without cutting yarn.
With CA, work picot stitches along the long edge that is also in CA like this:
Step 1: Ch 3.
Step 2: Insert the hook into first ch and sc.
Step 3: Sc in edge of row.
Repeat step 1-3 in edge of each row from main part.
Fasten off & cut yarn.
Block to shape.
Fasten threads & weave in ends.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the easy crochet scarf pattern!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your easy crochet scarf that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished Easy Crochet Scarf on Ravelry.
- Share your finished Diagonal Sunset Wrap on LoveCrafts.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
- Share this FREE pattern on Facebook
- Share this FREE pattern on Pinterest & save it to make later.
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.