It’s another day & another opportunity to share a FREE crochet pattern, the crochet Caeli top.
You’re going to love this crochet pattern, because it is so EASY! It’s truly made with the beginner crocheter in mind, & because of that you’ll only need to know basic crochet stitches.
Seaming? If you hate it or love it, there’s just some basic seaming needed for this pattern. Hey, you can even use your crochet hook & make slip stitches to assemble this quick & easy crochet top.
This crochet top is definitely one of my favorite crochet tops to wear during summer. It’s lightweight & fits well over a bikini top or wear it with jeans.
Ready to make it?
Disclosure. The blog posts on this website may contain affiliate links. This means I’ll get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (with no additional cost to you). I only use these for products I use & have a great experience with & I feel gives value to you. Read more about my reasoning here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide you FREE blog posts & crochet patterns. By sharing my content you make it possible for me to continue publishing FREE content. All content is shared with a good intention & is meant to inspire you to crochet! Thank you!
When designing the crochet Caeli top, I wanted to use cotton yarn. I used a yarn from Drops, that was available for a limited time.
Luckily I’ve been able to get my hands on a yarn that’s exactly the same.
This yarn is from Scheepjes Yarn & is called Cotton 8. I love it!
Cotton yarns of this quality is perfect for summer garments such as cardigans, dresses, shrugs, & obviously crochet tops.
Honestly, I want to make lots of crochet garments with it.
THE PERFECT SPRING & SUMMER CROCHET PROJECT
You’re going to love this crochet top because it’s to easy & fast to crochet. However that’s not the only reason.
- It only requires you to know single crochet stitches, treble crochet stitches & chains.
- You don’t have to use a lot of yarn. Just a few skeins. Turns out this top is “cheap”.
- It’s the perfect project to bring when traveling. It doesn’t require a lot of concentration & you can keep going easily.
Since you like the Caeli Top, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
CROCHET CAELI TOP – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
About the pattern:
The crochet Caeli Top crochet pattern is a beginner friendly crochet top. It’s made up of just two crocheted “scarfs” (see diagram under finishing), which makes it easy to make. The scarfs is then assembled to make it into a top.
It’s designed with cotton yarn, & makes it a light top for the warmer months. However with the right color it will also easily translate into fall.
Related: Beginner friendly crochet garments
- Crochet hook size 6 mm / US: J – 10 / UK: 4
- Hook I used: Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks from Knitpro
- Cotton Yarn -1 Super Fine Yarn:
- Yarn I used: Scheepjes – Cotton 8
- Amount needed:
- XS: 2 skeins / 88 grams / 298 meters / 326 yards
- S: 3 skeins / 104 grams / 354 meters / 387 yards
- M: 3 skeins / 125 grams / 425 meters / 465 yards
- L: 3-4 skeins* / 148 grams / 503 meters / 550 yards
- XL: 4 skeins / 169 grams / 574 meters / 628 yards
- 2XL: 4 skeins / 195 grams / 664 meters / 726 yards
- 3XL: 5 skeins / 219 grams / 774 meters / 814 yards
- 4XL: 5-6 skeins* / 249 grams / 845 meters / 925 yards
- 5XL: 6 skeins / 275 yards / 936 meters / 1023 yards
- *On size L & 4XL the amount of yarn needed is close to full skeins, I would recommend purchasing 1 extra skein.
- Find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
Measured in with treble crochet stitches in rows.
1.2 stitches and 0.4 rows per cm // 12 stitches & 4 rows per 10 cm.
3 stitches and 1 rows per inch // 12 stitches & 4 rows per 4 inch.
Size & Measurements:
- This pattern is written to have a standard fit, that means about 5-10 cm ease.
- Take measurements to find the size that fits the best.
- Note: Any size adjustments affects yarn usage & you might need more/less yarn than suggested.
- For all sizes: Adjust length by adding or reducing rows.
- For all sizes: Start with fewer/more stitches, added/reduced by 1 stitch at a time to adjust fit.
|CIRCUMFERENCE BUST/WAIST/HIP||LENGTH |
SHOULDER TO HIP
|ARMHOLE CIRCUMFERENCE||WIDTH 1 «SCARF»|
|XS||77 cm /|
|49.5 cm /|
|33 cm /|
|19.2 cm /|
|S||86 cm /|
|52.5 cm /|
|35 cm /|
|21.5 cm /|
|M||95.5 cm /|
|57 cm /|
|38 cm /|
|23.8 cm /|
|L||104.5 cm /|
|61.5 cm /|
| 41 cm /|
|26.2 cm /|
|XL||114 cm /|
|64.5 cm /|
|43 cm /|
|28.5 cm /|
|2XL||123 cm /|
|69 cm /|
| 46 cm /|
|30.8 cm /|
|3XL||132.5 cm /|
|72 cm /|
| 48 cm /|
|33.1 cm /|
|4XL||141.5 cm /|
|76.5 cm /|
|51 cm /|
|35.4 cm /|
|5XL||151 cm /|
|79.5 cm /|
|53 cm /|
|37.7 cm /|
Ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
Prev = previous
Sc = single crochet (tutorial)
Sl st = slip stitch (tutorial)
St = stitch (es)
Tr = treble crochet (tutorial)
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked, final size might get bigger when blocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis. It includes starting chain(s).
- This pattern is written for 9 sizes, where the different sizes is given in parenthesis like this: XS (S) M (L) XL (2XL) 3XL (4XL) 5XL. If just one number is given, it applies to all sizes. I recommend that you highlight or circle the size you’re making before you begin to make the pattern easier to follow. Size adjustments are added under “Size & Measurements”.
Repeat instructions to times to make both sides of the crochet Caeli top.
Ch 27 (30) 33 (36) 39 (42) 45 (48) 51 st.
Row 1: Tr in 4th st from hook, crochet 1 tr in each ch you just made, turn (=25 (28) 31 (34) 37 (40) 43 (46) 49 st).
Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as 1st tr), tr 1 in each st from prev row, turn (=25 (28) 31 (34) 37 (40) 43 (46) 49 st).
Row 3: Rep row 2.
Row 4: Ch 1 (counts as 1st sc), sc 1 in each st from prev row, turn (=25 (28) 31 (34) 37 (40) 43 (46) 49 st).
Rows 5-7: Rep row 2.
Repeat rows 4-7 until you have repeated 10 (11) 12 (13) 13 (15) 15 (16) 17 more times, or until your crochet project measures:
XS: 99 cm / 39 inches
S: 105 cm / 41.3 inches
M: 114 cm / 44.9 inches
L: 123 cm / 48.4 inches
XL: 129 cm / 50.8 inches
2 XL: 138 cm / 54.3 inches
3XL: 144 cm / 56.7 inches
4XL: 153 cm / 60.2 inches
5XL: 159 cm / 62.6 inches
or desired length.
In the next row: Ch 1, sl st 1 st in each st from prev row, fasten thread.
Fasten off & cut yarn.
Fasten threads & weave in ends.
Follow the diagram to assemble the crochet top. All seams are made with the wrong side facing you.
- Seam the center front (A in diagram) with the yarn used, with either slip stitches & hook or stitching with a needle. Starting from the bottom & moving up.
- Leave the measurements given below unseamed between seam A & B or adjust to your needs:
- XS: 33 cm / 13 inches
- S: 35 cm / 14 inches
- M: 38 cm / 15 inches
- L: 41 cm / 16 inches
- XL: 43 cm / 17 inches
- 2XL: 46 cm / 18 inches
- 3XL: 48 cm /19 inches
- 4XL: 51 cm / 20 inches
- 5XL: 53 cm /21 inches
- Leave the measurements given below unseamed between seam A & B or adjust to your needs:
- Repeat step 1 for center back (B in diagram).
- Repeat step 1 for to make armholes (C & D in diagram). Leave the same measurements unseamed to make armholes.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the crochet Caeli Top!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your crochet Caeli Top that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished Caeli Top on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished Caeli Top on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.