Hello, friends! I’m Megan, the creator behind TainaCrafts. I am a wife, mother, and lover of coffee and reading. I am so excited to be a guest on Joy of Motion. This pattern is very near to my heart, because it is my first published pattern! I hope you enjoy making it, as much as I enjoyed creating it!
I used 2 full skeins of Vanna’s Choice in Linen, and 2 partial skeins of Vanna’s in Dusty Purple and Dusty Blue. The yarn is not important, as long as it is a medium (4) yarn.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you). Read more here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide FREE posts & crochet patterns.
A WHIMSICAL PILLOW
The idea for this pillow came about when I was looking for something fun and functional for my son’s nursery. The bobbles in different colors add a touch of whimsy to this pillow. One of my testers even did it in Christmas colors that made a great look for the holiday season.
The Zigzag Bobble Pillow is a choose your own adventure pattern. You can use the written pattern to make the pillow as pictured for a whimsical look, or you can pick and choose sections of the graph to make your own customized pillow. The Dotted Bobble Section looks a bit more modern when done on its own.
Since you like the Zigzag Bobble Pillow, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
ZIGZAG BOBBLE PILLOW – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
By clicking these links (pictures above) you will end up on the guest designers Etsy, Ravelry or Love Crochet store, where you can purchase the pattern.
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The Zigzag Bobble Pillow is perfect for any advanced beginner looking to learn a new stitch. It’s simple design allows you to finish it quickly and you can use the graph to customize it in anyway you wish.
You will need to know basic crochet stitches and how to read a pattern. You will also need to be comfortable with working a new stitch.
Size 6 mm / US: J / UK: 4
Yarn Brand – Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in color Linen, Dusty Purple, and Dusty Blue.
Yarn amount used:
4 skeins / 400 oz / 14 g / 624 m / 680 yards
- 4 medium yarn, worsted yarn.
- 100% acrylic
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 1 size, however size adjustments are suggested under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
- Ch 1 at the beginning of the row does not count as a stitch.
- This pattern is completed in two separate panels which will need to be closer together.
- This pillow requires different colors. Because the pillow will have a right side and a wrong side, you will carry the yarn behind the piece for a cleaner look on the front. Do not cut the yarn until the end of the row.
- When there is a color change, this change will be indicated by the letter and the instructions will follow. For example: A: sc 3, B: bbl 1, A: sc 7 – this indicated that you will sc 3 times in color A, bobble stitch 1 time in color B, and sc 7 times in color A.
- This pattern is written as is pictured, to choose your own adventure, please follow the graph. The colors on the graph indicate a Bobble stitch.
- When working a Bobble stitch it is important to pull the Bobble to the front of the piece. The front is considered the Right Side. All even rows are the right side.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
My finished pillow is 11”x 11.5”
BLhdc = back loop hald fouble crochet
Ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
ch-2-sp = refers to chain or space previously made, with 2 ch
Rep = repeat
St = stitch (es)
STITCHES YOU WILL NEED:
YO, insert hook in st, pull up loop, YO, pull through 2 loops, (YO, insert hook into same st, pull up loop, YO pull through 2 loops) repeat 8 times, YO pull through all 10 loops on the hook.
A: Ch 40
Row 1 – A: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc across (39 sc).
Row 2 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc). RS
Row 3 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc). WS
Row 4 – A: ch 1, turn, 3 sc, B: 1 bbl st, (A: 7 sc, B: 1 bbl) repeat until last 3 sts, A: 3 sc (34 sc, 5 bbl). RS
Row 5 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc). WS
Row 6 – A: ch 1, turn, 5 sc, B: 1 bbl (A: 3 sc, B: 1 bbl) repeat to last 5 sts, A: 5 sc (31 sc, 8 bbl).
Row 7 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Row 8 – A: ch 1, turn, (A: 3 sc, 1 bbl, 3 sc, B: 1 bbl) repeat to end of row. (30 sc, 9 bbl).
Row 9 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Row 10 – A: ch 1, turn, 5 sc, 1 bbl (3 sc, 1 bbl) repeat to last 5 sts, 5 sc (31 sc, 8 bbl).
Row 11 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Row 12 – A: ch 1, turn, 3 sc, C: 1 bbl, (A: 3 sc, 1 bbl, 3 sc C: 1 bbl) repeat to last 3 sts, A: 3 sc (30 sc, 9 bbl).
Row 13 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Row 14 – A: ch 1, turn, 5 sc, C: 1 bbl, (A: 3 sc, C: 1 bbl) repeat until last 5 sts, A: 5 sc (31 sc, 8 bbl).
Row 15 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Row 16 – A: ch 1, turn, 7 sc, (C: 1 bbl, A: 7 sc) repeat to end of row (35 sc, 4 bbl).
Row 17-19 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Row 20 – A: ch 1, turn, 3 sc, (B: 1 bbl, A: 7 sc) repeat to last 3 sts, A: 3 sc (34 sc, 5 bbl).
Rows 21-23 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc)
Row 24 – A: ch 1, turn, 7 sc, (1 bbl, 7 sc) repeat to end of row. (35 sc, 4 bbl).
Rows 25-27 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Row 28 – A: ch 1, turn, 3 sc, (C: 1 bbl, A: 7 sc) repeat to last 3 sts, A: 3 sc (34 sc, 5 bbl).
Rows 29-31 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Row 32 – A: ch 1, turn, 7 sc, (1 bbl, 7 sc) repeat to end of row (35 sc, 4 bbl).
Rows 33-35 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Row 36 – A: ch 1, turn, 3 sc, (B: 1 bbl, A: 7 sc) repeat to last 3 sts, A: 3 sc (34 sc, 5 bbl).
Rows 37-39 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Row 40 – A: ch 1, turn, 7 sc, (1 bbl, 7 sc) repeat to end of row (35 sc, 4 bbl).
Rows 41-43 – A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Row 44 – A: ch 1, turn, 3 sc, (C: 1 bbl, A: 7 sc) repeat to last 3 sts, A: 3 sc (34 sc, 5 bbl).
Rows 45-47: A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
A: ch 40
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc across (39 sc).
Rows 2-47: A: ch 1, turn, sc across (39 sc).
Do not fasten off.
With the WS facing together and the RS facing out.
- SC into both pieces of the pillow. At the corner of the pillow, 3 sc into corner. Continue until you have closed 3 sides of the pillow.
- Stuff the pillow with fiberfill.
- Sc the last side to close the pillow. Making sure to add 3 sc to the corner.
- Slip stitch into first sc and fasten off.
- Weave in your ends with your yarn needle.
BY GUEST DESIGNER MEGAN ORTIZ AT TAINACRAFTS!
Hi! I’m Megan, the designer and maker behind Taina Crafts. I am a wife, mother, and lover of coffee (until it’s time for wine). My mom taught me how to crochet when I was very young and I haven’t stopped since! I’ve picked up a few more crafts along the way, but crochet has always stayed near and dear to my heart.
Every piece that I create is made with intention and inspiration. I like simple stitches that create beautiful textures. I hope that my design will make you as happy as it makes me!
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the Zigzag Bobble Pillow!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of you’re Zigzag Bobble Pillow that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #tainacrafts & @tainacrafts
- Share your finished Zigzag Bobble Pillow on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished Zigzag Bobble Pillow on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
TAINACRAFTS, JOY OF MOTION & THIS PATTERN TAGGED ON INSTAGRAM