You’re going to love this FREE crochet pattern for the crochet Laetus cowl, because it’s super easy & works up quickly.
The yarn used is just awesome & comes in lots of different colors, I’m talking about Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky. The Silver Gray color used for the design of this yarn is just so classic & works well with any wardrobe.
The crochet Laetus Cowl isn’t going to require a lot of time to finish, just a few hours, depending on how fast you crochet. That makes this a truly great crochet gift & also a great crochet idea for markets.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you). Read more here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide FREE posts & crochet patterns.
For the crochet Laetus Cowl, Lion Brand Yarn – Wool-Ease Chunky, is the suggested yarn. This yarn is 80% acrylic & 20 % wool & it is great to crochet with.
The wool makes it warm & it’s a great affordable yarn.
It comes in lots of different colors & you can never get bored.
I’m sure you’re going to love this yarn & remember to comment below & let me know which color you’re using!
Pictured below is the same yarn, but used for a different project.
THE PERFECT FALL & WINTER CROCHET PROJECT
Nothings better than those bulky weight super fast crochet projects for the colder seasons. They can be crocheted in just one afternoon & looks amazing.
I love big cozy cowls because they can really keep you warm & can be used for both covering your neck & your head.
Since you like the crochet Laetus Cowl, these might interest you too?
// 2. Regelo Cardigan
// 3. Actus Shawl
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
CROCHET LAETUS COWL – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The Laetus Cowl crochet pattern is a pattern for a really warm oversized cowl. It has a beautiful textured stitch pattern that makes it thick & perfect for winter.
The pattern is written for only one size, however size adjustments are included throughout the pattern. Play around with colors to make it fit your style.
- Main Hook: 8 mm / US: L – 11 / UK: 0
- Hook used to start pattern: 10 mm / US: N/P – 15 / UK: 000
Hook I used: Waves Hooks from Knitpro
Lion Brand – Wool-Ease Chunky in color Silver Grey.
Yarn amount used:
2 skeins / 274 g / 274 m / 300 yards
- 5 bulky yarn.
- 80% Acrylic, 20% Wool
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
Measured with Quick Bubblepattern Crochet Stitch crocheted in rows:
- 7 stitches and 8 rows per 10 cm / 4’’.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 1 size, however size adjustments are suggested under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
- Width: 41 cm / 16.1 inches.
- Height: 37 cm / 14.5 inches.
*Measured with cowl laying on a flat surface.
- Pattern is written for just one size.
- Make the cowl higher or shorter by adding or reducing the number of stitches before you start row 1.
- Make the cowl wider or narrower by adding or reducing the number of rows you crochet.
Ch = chain (s) (tutorial)
prev = previous
QB = quick bubblepattern (tutorial)
St = stitch (es)
yo = yarn over
STITCHES YOU WILL NEED:
You will need to use the foundation single crochet stitch & the quick bubblepattern.
QUICK BUBBLEPATTERN (QB):
*in the next st, draw up a loop, yo, draw up a loop from same stitch, yo, pull through all* repeat. Start rows with a Quick Bubblepattern Stitch directly in the last stitch from prev row.
FOUNDATION SINGLE CROCHET (FSC):
Step 1: Ch 2 st.
Step 2: Insert hook into 2nd ch from hook, pull up a loop. Yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook.
Step 3: Insert hook into prev “chain” you made (It should look like you go through a resemblance of a “normal” st, with 2 strands of yarn), pull up a loop, yo and pull through first loop (making “chain”). Yo and pull through both loops on hook. Repeat step 3 until you’ve made enough stitches.
*2nd ch in step 1 makes 1 st, step 2 makes 1 st & every time step 3 is repeated you make 1 st.
With hook size 10 mm, make 26 st using the FDC technique, turn.
Row 1: With hook size 8 mm, QB 1 directly into 1st st, QB 1 in the next 25 st, turn (=26 st).
Row 2-64: Repeat row 1.
Fasten off & cut yarn.
Fasten thread & weave in ends.
Fold cowl double. Seam the cowl on the short edge with the yarn used, with either slip stitches & a hook or stitching with a needle.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the crochet Laetus Cowl!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your crochet Laetus Cowl that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished crochet Laetus Cowl on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished crochet Laetus Cowl on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.