You’re going to love the crochet Callaina Tunisian Lace Bolero, because it’s a quick make. This is definitely what I would call a 1 day make.
Crocheted boleros can be a great idea for Spring and Summer, because of the lovely stitch details you can make them with & also because they can cover your shoulders while still not being too warm.
Disclosure. Most blog posts on this website contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (no additional cost to you). Read more here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide FREE posts & crochet patterns.
Personally I love using crocheted boleros together with summer dresses or even to a wedding. One of my favorite crocheted boleros from earlier is the Sunny Bolero, but the crochet Calllaina Tunisian Lace Bolero will definitely fight for the top spot.
I received this yarn from Baad Mom yarns to write this yarn review, but as always, I never crochet without designing something new. This bolero isn’t big & could be made even bigger if you prefer that, but I loved the idea of a smaller bolero & the bonus is that it’s a true one skein wonder.
Finally, this is the first time I’m publishing a pattern featuring Tunisian crochet, I just recently learned it & I’m so excited about this new adventure!
What I love about this yarn is the fact that it could withstand me ripping out & starting over multiple times while I made the design. The best thing, it didn’t show signs of it at all.
Finally, the color! Love the turquoise & the tiny beautiful speckles.
THE PERFECT SPRING & SUMMER CROCHET PROJECT
This Tunisian crochet bolero is absolutely perfect for Spring & Summer, because it’s such a great little piece to wear. It covers your shoulders beautifully & the lovely lace crochet stitch makes it look interesting & pretty at the same time.
As mentioned, this crochet bolero could be made even bigger or smaller, just start the project with more or less stitches.
Next, this is a great project when you want to try Tunisian crochet, this is actually my first ever project using this technique.
Since you like the crochet Callaina Tunisian Lace Bolero, these might interest you too?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CROCHET THAT?
How long it takes to crochet something varies depending on your skill & how fast you crochet. But that isn’t a helpful answer is it?
Well, I’ve developed a yarn calculator to help you get the answer to this question.
It will help you calculate exactly how much time you’ll spend crocheting a project.
All you need to know is how much yarn you will use on the project in either meters, yards or skeins. Then crochet your test square & time it.
CROCHET CALLAINA TUNISIAN BOLERO – THE FREE CROCHET PATTERN
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The crochet Callaina Tunisian Lace Bolero is a great project for Spring and Summer. It’s a great project to try Tunisian crochet, because you’ll just make a rectangle, & don’t have to worry about complex increases or decreases.
For this project you’re going to need 1 skein worsted weight hand dyed yarn, the one pictured is Baad Mom Yarns, Practical Mom.
The bolero can be made both bigger & smaller by changing how many stitches you start with, making this a very adjustable project.
TUNISIAN CROCHET HOOK:
Size 7 mm / US: – / UK: 2
with a 60 cm / approximately 24 inch wire.
Baad Mom Yarns – Practical Mom.
Yarn amount used:
1 skein / 100 g / 199 m / 218 yards
- 4 medium yarn, worsted.
- 100 % Merino Wool
OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Needle, find one here (if you don’t already have one)!
Measured with the stitch combination of row 1 & 2 crocheted in rows:
14 stitches & 7 rows per 10 cm / 4”.
- This crochet pattern is written in US terms (more details).
- All measurements given are unblocked.
- Note that measurements are given as exact as possible. But crochet tension & technique might give variations in the result, that changes from person to person.
- Read pattern instructions carefully before beginning to make sure you understand everything. It might save you hours!
- Make a swatch that measure at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch the gauge is given for. If your swatch matches the gauge, you’re good to go. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your hook. Go up in crochet hook size if your stitches are smaller & go down in crochet hook size if your stitches are bigger (more details).
- Check yarn info if you want to find an alternative or test your yarn against the gauge (more details).
- This pattern is written for 1 size, however size adjustments are suggested under the heading “Size & Measurements”.
- At the end of each row, the stitch count is given in parenthesis.
SIZE & MEASUREMENTS:
Width: 69 cm / 27.1 inches
Height: 28.5 cm / 11.2 inches
- Make the bolero wider or narrower by adding or reducing the number of stitches you cast on. Add or reduce by 2 stitches at a time.
- Make the bolero bigger or smaller in height by adding or reducing the number of rows you crochet.
ch = chain (s)
Tdc = tunisian double crochet
Tdc2tog = crochet together 2 Tunisian double crochet stitches
St = stitch (es)
yo = yarn over
STITCHES YOU WILL NEED:
TUNISIAN DOUBLE CROCHET (Tdc):
Yo, insert hook in next stitch, yo and pull up a loop, yo, pull through 2.
Each time you repeat, you’ll add 1 extra loop on the hook.
TUNISIAN DOUBLE CROCHET TWO TOGETHER (Tdc2tog):
Yo, insert hook into the next 2 front vertical bars, yo and pull up a loop, yo, pull through 2.
TECHNIQUES YOU WILL NEED:
CAST ON STITCHES USING TWO HOOKS:
Cast on stitches onto your Tunisian hook using the method as shown here.
STANDARD TUNISIAN RETURN (return):
Yo, pull through 1, *yo, pull through 2*, repeat from *to* until you have 1 loop on the hook.
WHERE IS THE FRONT VERTICAL BAR?
After crocheting the first return pass, you should be able to see distinct vertical bars. One in the front of the work (the front vertical bar) & one in the back (the back vertical bar).
Cast on 94 stitches on your Tunisian hook.
If you don’t want to use the cast on method mentioned above, you can do this instead:
Ch 94 stitches, pull up a loop from each & do the standard Tunisian return.
*Always start the first stitch on each row in the second front vertical bar.
All stitches are made in the front vertical bar of the stitch, except the final row.
Row 1: Ch 1, Tdc 1 in each st across, return (=94 st).
Row 2: Ch 1, *Tdc2tog in the next 2 st, yo*, repeat from *to* until you have 1 st left, Tdc 1 in last st, return (= 94 st (1 ch, 46 Tdc2tog, 46 yo, 1 Tdc)).
Repeat row 1 & 2 until you have crocheted 20 rows.
Row 21: Ch 1 (counts as 1st st), sl st 1 between each st across to make the upper edge even.
Fasten off & cut yarn.
When you’re finished crocheting you have 1 part:
1. To turn your rectangle into a bolero, fold the bolero double folding the shorter edges & seam the corners from the same short edge together.
2. Fasten threads & weave in ends.
SHARE IT & SHARE PICTURES!
I really hope you liked the Crochet Callaina Tunisian Lace Bolero!
However, if you really like it, make sure to share the FREE pattern & share pictures of your Crochet Callaina Tunisian Lace Bolero that you’ve made with me.
- Tag me on Instagram: Take a picture of your project, use #joyofmotioncrochet & tag me!
- Share your finished Crochet Callaina Tunisian Lace Bolero on Love Crochet.
- Share your finished Crochet Callaina Tunisian Lace Bolero on Ravelry.
I can’t wait to see your pictures!
Not ready to crochet it yet?
Thank you for sharing my FREE patterns & tutorials. When you do, you support me & the blog, which makes it possible to continue sharing free content with you. Which, I really love doing, so thank you!
Not all content on this blog website is free, but the more you share, the more free content I will be able to share. Note that all premium content are ad free.
All my crochet patterns can be used to produce & sell handmade, however you are required to let Joy of Motion know & credit Joy of Motion/Janne Kleivset as the designer by linking back to https://joyofmotioncrochet.com. You can not use my pictures when selling your handmade items. Finally, you can not resell, reprint or share any parts of my patterns as your own.