LEARN HOW TO CROCHET THE BERRY STITCH:
Keep reading, because you’ll learn how to crochet the berry stitch. It’s a stitch in the intermediate crochet stitch category, however it’s not that difficult to learn. The crochet tutorial contains pictures, video & written instructions to make it easy to learn the crochet stitch.
If you have bought one of my crochet patterns, you might wonder how the berry stitch is done. The crochet pattern always offers written text in addition to charts, but here I will share a step by step picture guide with you. In addition there is a video of how to crochet this stitch on the bottom.
Today I suggest that you learn the berry stitch & then you should use it in a crochet project! You can make you own crochet pattern, but on the bottom of this post I have also included all my crochet patterns that are using the Berry Stitch!
OTHER CROCHET STITCHES YOU MIGHT WANT TO LEARN:
Before you start learning the crochet stitch for this post, I want to share other crochet stitch tutorials from Joy of Motion. Just click the link & open them in new tabs to learn them later.
Disclosure. The blog posts on this website may contain affiliate links. This means I’ll get a small commission if you click-through & purchase (with no additional cost to you). I only use these for products I use & have a great experience with & I feel gives value to you. Read more about my reasoning here.
This website also contains ads, which makes it possible for me to provide you FREE blog posts & crochet patterns. By sharing my content you make it possible for me to continue publishing FREE content. All content is shared with a good intention & is meant to inspire you to crochet! Thank you!
MATERIALS YOU’LL NEED TO LEARN THE BERRY STITCH:
To follow this crochet tutorial you’ll need a crochet hook. When I crochet I usually use 2 types of crochet hooks. I’ve listed them below:
- Knitpro – Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks – My first choice as of now is the Symphonie Rose Crochet Hooks from KnitPro. They opened my world to wood hooks & impressed me with their amazing lightness & how they feel in my hand. Even though they’re not padded, they never give me any strain while using them. I’ve only come across them in sets They are available here:
- KnitPro – Waves Crochet Hooks – Are the crochet hooks I use almost as my favorite. They are padded hooks & are comfortable to crochet with. They are a little heavier than wooden hooks, but the padded comfort is truly amazing. You can purchase these both in sets & alone. They are available here:
- Love Crochet
- Wool Warehouse
- Wool Warehouse (set)
- Amazon (set)
You’re going to need some yarn to follow this crochet tutorial to learn a new crochet stitch. I really do love purchasing my yarn online. Here’s my top yarn resources:
HOW TO CROCHET THE BERRY STITCH – PICTURE GUIDE:
1. How to start
2. Slip stitch 4 stitches
3. Single crochet
Crochet 1 single crochet in the BLO. (Draw up a loop from next stitch, yarn over- & pull through 2 loops on hook). Made in the back loop (BLO).
5. Yarn over
6. Draw up a loop from left post of your single crochet
7. Yarn over
8. Pull through 2 loops on hook
9. Yarn over
10. Draw up a loop from same left post of the single crochet
11. Yarn over
12. Pull through 3 loops on hook
13. Skip 1 stitch & draw up a loop from next stitch
14. Yarn over
15. Pull through the 3 loops on hook
16. Single crochet
HOW TO CROCHET THE BERRY STITCH – WRITTEN DESCRIPTION:
Work in rows: Berry: Draw up a loop from next st, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook (=1 sc), yo, pull through 1 loop on hook, yo, draw up a loop from left post of the sc you just made, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook, yo, draw up a loop from same left post of the sc, yo, pull through 3 loops on hook, sk 1 st, draw up a loop from next st, yo, pull through the 3 loops on hook, sc in next st. Row 1*: Make berry, sl st in BLO of next 4 st. Row 2: Ch 1, sl st in BLO of all st from previous row. Row 3: Sl st in BLO of 4 st, make berry. Row 4: Ch 1, sl st in BLO of all st from previous row.
HOW TO CROCHET THE BERRY STITCH – VIDEO GUIDE:
This soundless video shows how to crochet the Berry Stitch.
Compare this with the written instructions & you should have a feel about how it’s done.
CROCHET PATTERN DESIGNS USING THE BERRY STITCH: